‘Sham’ Sharing Ministries Test Faith Of Patients And Insurance Regulators

May 18, 2019

1. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    ‘Sham’ Sharing Ministries Test Faith Of Patients And Insurance Regulators

Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler on Monday ordered Aliera, which operates Trinity Healthshare Inc., both of Delaware, to halt operations in Washington, alleging the firm was selling health insurance illegally and engaging in deceptive business practices.

Aliera falsely represented itself as a sharing ministry, which would be exempt from insurance regulations, an investigation found. Though he wouldn’t name them, Kreidler said he’s investigating two additional firms over similar concerns.

“They don’t have the direct affiliation with a particular religious group, a church, a pastor,” Kreidler said. “These appear to be ones that come in with an opportunity here to make money.”

2. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for sharing.

You really seem to have your finger on the pulse of all things insurance. Keep up the good work

somarco, May 18, 2019
  3. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You really seem to have your finger on the pulse of all things insurance. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Somarco. I like to know enough to be talk about these things, however I'm leery about about anything that's not "major medical" and refuse to sell it. A few months ago I was upset as someone on here refused to release me from an old Nat Gen STM contract, but he probably did me a favor. I live in PA and my DOI commissioner hates them and suspended a dozen producer licenses due to them over the past two years.

I specialize (as you do) in Medicare and also ancillaries and FE.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    Some of your stuff is "in the weeds" but I am sure you can find a way to enlighten your clients and prospects.

I sell by phone exclusively but I can usually tell when their eyes are glassing over from too much technical information. Overall I think I do a pretty good job of explaining complicated topics in ways anyone can understand.

Keep up the good work!

BTW, I bailed on the U65 market unofficially in 2010 and officially in 2012.

Never pushed STM but had info on my site so a few bought. One lady that dropped her REAL major med and enrolled in an STM without my knowledge got snake bit BIG time.

Also have NEVER recommended a sharing plan or anything else that was not insurance.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    somarco, May 18, 2019