‘tis the season for auto-renewal

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
Dec. 15 is the day when consumers’ Obamacare plans will be automatically renewed if they haven’t made a new choice on Healthcare.gov, according to new regs released by CMS Tuesday afternoon. “That means the more than 5 million Americans who signed up during the first Obamacare season will have just four weeks after this fall’s enrollment begins Nov. 15 to return to HealthCare.gov, update their information and choose to keep their plan or pick a new one — or the federal exchange will do it for them,” reports Pro’s Brett Norman. That’s just on the federal exchange, though; states exchanges can do their own thing.

Good bit of data to have...4 weeks to get in contact with all your customers and get them adjusted into a new/better plan before the original plan auto enrolls.

Just not enough hours in the day.

If a plan auto-renews on 12/15/2014, is that person prohibited from making any changes to the auto-renewed plan, or cancelling, or choosing a new plan between 12/15/2014 and the close of open-enrollment on 2/15/2015? Hope not.

If a plan auto-renews on 12/15/2014, is that person prohibited from making any changes to the auto-renewed plan, or cancelling, or choosing a new plan between 12/15/2014 and the close of open-enrollment on 2/15/2015? Hope not.

Not sure Allen...I wouldn't think so...at least during OE.

Not sure Allen...I wouldn't think so...at least during OE.

My understanding was that they would still be able to make changes thru the end of enrollment. I thought the "auto enroll" was so that they wouldn't have a lapse in coverage on January 1. Also, many who may think they want to auto-enroll, may decide they want to make changes when their portion of the premium for the existing plan ends up being higher due to price increases that will take effect in January. . . .

Based on the lack of timely communications (and decisions) from Insurers and the Exchanges, I'm envisioning an auto-renewal/premium increase letter arriving on December 19th...or e-mail notifications going to SPAM instead of the client.

One thing 4 sure..Auto-renewal as we've experienced it in the past will be totally different this year.
ac

Dec. 15 is the day when consumers’ Obamacare plans will be automatically renewed if they haven’t made a new choice on Healthcare.gov, according to new regs released by CMS Tuesday afternoon. “That means the more than 5 million Americans who signed up during the first Obamacare season will have just four weeks after this fall’s enrollment begins Nov. 15 to return to HealthCare.gov, update their information and choose to keep their plan or pick a new one — or the federal exchange will do it for them,” reports Pro’s Brett Norman. That’s just on the federal exchange, though; states exchanges can do their own thing.

Good bit of data to have...4 weeks to get in contact with all your customers and get them adjusted into a new/better plan before the original plan auto enrolls.

Just not enough hours in the day.

Policies are paid as earned or advanced according to the agreement. Normal contracts, are for a 12 month period before they are renewed and a such the "as earned" is applied to 12 months. Now I'm hearing from you that all policies, many of which have not been in the books for a year, are renewed in December. Renewed policies are subjected to a 1% commission and this, as you may see brings up a discrepancy.
If possible I'd appreciate a clarification.

I wonder what happens when the plan being renewed stops being offered by the insurance company. Auto-transition to most comparable, or client's responsibility to enroll in a new one?

Policies are paid as earned or advanced according to the agreement. Normal contracts, are for a 12 month period before they are renewed and a such the "as earned" is applied to 12 months. Now I'm hearing from you that all policies, many of which have not been in the books for a year, are renewed in December. Renewed policies are subjected to a 1% commission and this, as you may see brings up a discrepancy.
If possible I'd appreciate a clarification.

I understand where you're coming from. All exchage based plans end Dec 31 2014 for the first OE. Same will go with the next OE...Plans will end Dec 31 2015.

The renewed policies should be reviewed by the agent to ensure that this is what is best for the consumer. You may find depending who you're contracted with that enrolling them in a new policy with a new carrier may be the consumers best option.

----------

50 pages..."ain't nobody got time fer that...." :D Y you did a post not to many moons ago about this very topic. In order to keep your post count up ;) how about chiming in?

50 pages..."ain't nobody got time fer that...." :D Y you did a post not to many moons ago about this very topic. In order to keep your post count up ;) how about chiming in?

I chimed in with 50 pages of answers. I'll let someone else be (y)our biatch

Back