1 call close or not?

senior-advisor-indiana

Guru
5000 Post Club
Indiana
Do you guys usually close a med supp or MA deal on the first appoinment or not? I do on the first call 97% of the time. If they tell me they want to think about it I never close 97% of them. How do you guys overcome these objections.....
1. I want to think about it
2. I have to talk to my kids
3. I have been blue cross for 30 years
4. I have never heard over your company
5. I want someone local
6. My current company has paid alot of claims for me

Are their any other ones I left out? If so, please list and let me knw how you handle them. Please.

Don't fall prey to false sales teachings that every prospect is a buyer and if you don't close them you did or said something wrong. If you're closing enough of your appointments to make a good living it all come out in the wash.

That being said, if a majority of your clients are putting you off and you're closing very few sales then it's you.

I too close most of my sales the first time,if I don't I don't give them another thought. The only 2-3 closes to me are the LTC cases and I would think the annuity cases.

I think it is more than money. I have left a person's home with no sale even though I could have saved him and his wife 2 grand and I have made sales while actually increasing the premium. If you can show value and if they like you then "booyah"

A sales manager in another industry told me once that "the be-back bus don't run". What you describe bears that out.

The vast majority of the sales I close are also on the first call, especially this year. But that doesn't mean that I go for a hard sell, etc. Far from it.

Last year when I was captive with Humana I was in a kiosk in Wal-Mart and also was giving a lot of seminars, so there were times then when I would see a prospect two or more times before they decided to buy. Now, the few times when I go back and sign them up after the first call are due to things like having to get more information on something that I can't (or they can't) get an answer to during the appointment, like if a doctor in another part of the state is in the network, etc.

I'd also like to hear how some of these objections are handled. But here are some of my thoughts.

1. I find that the want to think about it objection is usually an objection to the price, and in most cases whether it will fit their monthly budget. There also could be uncertainty about other aspects of the plan. If you are not getting much feedback during a MA presentation you might want to try some trial closes after some of the more significant benefits like "how does that look" etc.

2. If they need to talk to the kids find out if you can either come back with them present or talk to them on the phone if they do not live in the local area.

3. "I've been with BC for 30 years". If what you are offering is better, this can often be overcome with a NEADS analysis early on, asking them what they like about their current coverage, what they would change if they could, etc.

4. The "never heard of your company" objection weighed heavily in my mind when I considered and eventually rejected offers from other MA carriers last year who at the time had very little or no name recognition here.

5. "I want someone local." What kind of area do you cover? I cover a wide area, but rural areas tend to be underserved and many people are doing good to get an agent to come see them at all.

6. "Current company has paid a lot of claims". See #3. If they have a high priced supp, get them to consider what they are paying on a yearly basis, etc. Some people will be reluctant to change especially if they are concerned with the often unpredictable out of pocket expenses of an MA plan. Last month I had a few people decide to stay with very high supps (over $300 per month) for now because of their advanced age and chronic health conditions.

I cover a 100 mile radius. Well the farthest I drive is 90 minutes. I am usually happy with my closing skills, I just think I might be able to close more.

Do you guys usually close a med supp or MA deal on the first appoinment or not? I do on the first call 97% of the time. If they tell me they want to think about it I never close 97% of them. How do you guys overcome these objections.....
5. I want someone local

Are their any other ones I left out? If so, please list and let me knw how you handle them. Please.

I was taught early on to be a hard closer, as in......I don't stop going for a yes until I hear a minimum of 5 no's. Did I learn a lot about people? Yes. Did I enjoy the hard close---HELL NO!!!!! Although I am familiar with the closing statements, I am a strong advocate of doing everything in my power to disqualify a prospect before I pitch a presentation. This way I don't feel as bad about not getting a sale... Here is a snapshot answer key to overcome the aforementioned objections. If you are doing a really good job qualifying, none of the answers matter and you should move on.

You approach during the qualification state and the presentation stage. This is a very tough one to overcome, but I always ask if it is the company, plan, me, etc. The only thing left is price OR they might be hesistant to change and I understand the feeling and do not push hard.

"Is you kid an insurance agent." Well...no" "I'm an expert on health insurance and can answer any question you have, let's get the application going and in the meantime you can talk to your kids....." If no, move on and forget them....

or

Pre-Qualify- When you’re making a decision like this, who do you usually like to talk it over with? They will either say nobody or husband/wife. People rarely ever say their child, lawyer, accountant, but for some odd reason, the accountant, lawyer or kid comes up at the end. Better to shut the door behind you before going for the application.

"I have been wearing my underwear for 5 days, but that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do." I'm just kidding...don't say that.........

This is a matter of comfort and security and possibly a lack of trust and/or faith in you. Either you have to build up your company story or work on building up trust. People in general are very resistant to change and you need to keep that in mind when you think about hard closing.

See comments above...

5. I want someone local

"What do you hope to gain from having a local agent?." if no answer, move on. If yes, the conversation continues.... Wam, bam thank you ma'am....

"If I can save you money, would you do business with me? Is there anything that prevents us from doing business? If yes, the conversation continues, if no, move on....

hope this helps.

I think it has a lot to do with how much you know about the prospect before you go to the appointment. If you are cold calling; knocking on doors or "delivering information" (I consider that cold calling) I would say 97% is kicking ass and taking names.

If you have somewhat qualified them on phone, set a specific appointment so they know to expect you and why you are coming, 97% is still kicking ass and taking names.

In other words, I guess I don't understand your question since you are "kicking ass and taking names". :biggrin:

There are all sorts of come-backs for the excuses you have listed. If you have the time and patience you can hang around longer and begin asking them questions. Usually though it comes down to how much money are you saving them. If you aren't saving them any then it is an up hill battle in the senior market.

For the most part it is going to take another appointment if you want to try to sell them. I usually leave my folder with my card on it and tell them to call if they want to take the policy. Then follow up a few days later with a call.

If they want to talk to their kids, a legitimate excuse, I ask them to have their kids call me or get their number and call them.

If you press the issue too hard you may get them to sign only to have them cancel in a few days. At that point you have almost always lost any potential of a future sale. You can be too good at selling sometimes.

Another one I hear a lot is: "I will lose all that money I paid the company if I leave."

Back