10 years late to the Medicare party

Spoke with a gentleman that is helping his mother in law sign up for an MAPD. He casually mentioned he and his wife would like to talk another time about his coverage and what could be done. I didn't ask too many questions because frankly I wasn't sure where to go with this one....

Retired Postman
75 yrs old
Living in FL
He and his wife are currently with Humana Open Access (looking to make a change because Dr's no longer part of the plan)
Does NOT have Medicare A or B

I know there would be BIG TIME penalties if he were to sign up for Medicare so realistically what are his options?

Thanks for the help.

Is the Humana plan an Obamacare plan? Or USPS retiree plan?

If MAPD how does he have it but NOT have A & B?

hqdefault.jpg

I know right?!?!?!?! I was kind of confused and shocked by what he was saying. This was a brief convo over the phone BTW

When he said retired postman I asked if he had Federal Employee Benefits and he said yes he has his plan with Humana. I asked what exactly does your insurance card say and that's when he said Humana Open Access. Said the gov't is paying about $900 a month and he's paying $600.

I don't think they qualify for extra help but I've also been told never to assume things.

He left me a message today with another question. He was told by an agent (telesales) that his mother in law would not qualify for a Med Supp because she recently broke her hip and was in the hospital but there is a "back end way". He offered to sign her up over the phone for a PDP with UHC/AARP. Then he says they can't deny her coverage for a Med Supp.

She has since moved to a SNF and they are finding out the Aetna plan was good at the time she signed up and was in good health. All of the Dr's and nurses are telling them to get her on a Med Supp but he didn't feel comfortable with what the agent was telling him.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS "BACK END WAY"?

I don't think they qualify for extra help but I've also been told never to assume things.

He left me a message today with another question. He was told by an agent (telesales) that his mother in law would not qualify for a Med Supp because she recently broke her hip and was in the hospital but there is a "back end way". He offered to sign her up over the phone for a PDP with UHC/AARP. Then he says they can't deny her coverage for a Med Supp.

She has since moved to a SNF and they are finding out the Aetna plan was good at the time she signed up and was in good health. All of the Dr's and nurses are telling them to get her on a Med Supp but he didn't feel comfortable with what the agent was telling him.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS "BACK END WAY"?
I think there are a few back end ways, but I am not familiar with that one.

if they're being placed into a plan that the agent knows is being taken off the market. the beneficiary will get an SEP to GI into a Supplement. or trial rights. aside from that... not sure what else he could mean. then again,if anyone has any weird "back door" to any of these policies i wouldn't be surprised if it was through United.

if they're being placed into a plan that the agent knows is being taken off the market. the beneficiary will get an SEP to GI into a Supplement. or trial rights. aside from that... not sure what else he could mean. then again,if anyone has any weird "back door" to any of these policies i wouldn't be surprised if it was through United.

This thread is quite confusing because there are three medicare beneficiaries mentioned and incomplete information for all.

It might be possible this other agent is suggesting an application of trial right number 5, starting the process by using a PDP enrollment to cancel an MAPD enrollment.

Back