1095 SNAFU

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Client went on Medicare 10/1/17. Contacted his carrier in early September to terminate existing Obamacare plan as of 9/30/17. They sent him to hc.gov and he was told it would be handled. In the interim he moved. BX sent premium notices to his old address. No draft, direct bill.

Now he has a 1095 showing coverage through the end of October. No claims incurred in October. The Oct BX premium was never paid. "Officially he only had Medicare + Medigap and PDP as of 10/1/17.

But he has this 1095 showing what looks like double coverage for October.

I don't think this is a problem since he had continuous creditable coverage for 12 months, even though the folks in DC thinks he has 13 months of coverage.

BX blames hc.gov and refuses to do anything about it. HC.gov claims it is not their problem.

Should he just ignore it or will there be problems when he files his taxes?

Was he receiving a subsidy for Oct? Or paying 100% of premium?

That's really the only issue. He may have to pay back the subsidy for the month he was on Medicare.

Otherwise, "Probably not, but I'm not a CPA and don't even play one on TV".

No subsidy.

And he is paying IRMAA now. Not real happy about that.

He was a referral, not my U65 client. Probably went through hc.gov because he (like a lot of other folks) thought that was the only way to buy U65 health insurance.

Changing from Marketplace Health Insurance to Medicare

According to that, one is allowed to keep their marketplace plan when they go on medicare. So if one has not gotten any tax benefits, but has incorrect reports they have not been able to get fixed, it seems like there should not be any problems.

At least you/they are not looking at a situation where the 1095 does not check off months that were actually covered.

No subsidy.

And he is paying IRMAA now. Not real happy about that.

He was a referral, not my U65 client. Probably went through hc.gov because he (like a lot of other folks) thought that was the only way to buy U65 health insurance.

IRMAA??

Then the correct answer is "I don't think so, but you need to talk to your CPA".

Back