1099 Contractors

Delta76

Guru
100+ Post Club
I came into a situation today that I haven't worked before. I'm doing a group plan for a 15 person travel agency, however, they have another 100 indepenedent contractors spread out all over the country with many asking about health insurance options. The company doesn't want to pay anything and they probably couldn't anyway to keep the employees under the 1099 status.

A group plan doesn't work. Any other suggestions? Should I just give each one a call and use the company as a reference? Given they're spreadout all over the country, I doubt a list bill would be practical, as there will be way too many different carriers given the geographical spread.

I came into a situation today that I haven't worked before. I'm doing a group plan for a 15 person travel agency, however, they have another 100 indepenedent contractors spread out all over the country with many asking about health insurance options. The company doesn't want to pay anything and they probably couldn't anyway to keep the employees under the 1099 status.

A group plan doesn't work. Any other suggestions? Should I just give each one a call and use the company as a reference? Given they're spreadout all over the country, I doubt a list bill would be practical, as there will be way too many different carriers given the geographical spread.

You could do it for the 1099s with a defined contribution plan using IFPs in conjunction with a Section 105 HRA plan.

It won't work though, if the travel agency doesn't want to contribute anything.

Thanks for the responses. I figured there wasn't a magic bullet solution, but I wanted to bounce the question of some of you with way more experience than myself to make sure I'm not missing something.

You could do it for the 1099s with a defined contribution plan using IFPs in conjunction with a Section 105 HRA plan.

It won't work though, if the travel agency doesn't want to contribute anything.

Moonlight, can you explain this concept in more detail? I have a 80 person group in Orlando with 20 w-2 employees and 60 1099's. I know I can put the 20 on group and the rest on a list-bill, but did not know about the IFP with an HRA Plan. Also, the company is going to have employees in Arizona and California in the coming months. So any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
I came into a situation today that I haven't worked before. I'm doing a group plan for a 15 person travel agency, however, they have another 100 indepenedent contractors spread out all over the country with many asking about health insurance options.

It's been a year since posting this, it never went far, at least yet. I still have the group as a client, I just never got access to the 1099's. I ran a webinar for the agents, but left it up to the travel agency to promote it (my mistake, lesson learned!). Out of the 100 1099's, 3 showed up on the webinar. At the annual review, I'll revisit this again and insist on getting the email list and promoting it myself. My guess is the attendance would skyrocket.

And two of those were near death....

Close, if I remember right...

1 near death
2 in states I didn't want to sell in so I referred them elsewhere

Back