15 years of experience and need some help

cbusg8tr

Hey all , I've been a lurker here for about 2 weeks and find this site interesting and sometimes entertaining.

As indicated, I've been in life insurance sales for over 15 years as a captive agent and manager. The agency was a term shop and I was doing well financially. However the direction of the agency changed and I felt if best at that time to leave since the only thing I had was a "contract".

To make a long story short, Over the past 14 months, I've gone the independent route, selling life and annuity as retirement plans. I've done OK for an undercapitalized
startup but the family has been hungry at times too! I tried to suppliment production with final expense, but got killed on lead cost, yes, even tried NAA and again killed by lead cost.

I've put a plan together to relaunch. I'm going to work my warm market and friends that really care about me for some new leads. I also have a few lunch and learns in the works. I've networked with an Alflac guy to offer health to his clients and then plan cross sell into retirement planning. But

I really need a home run idea NOW.

Ameriprise and Nationwide have both been calling, but I feel that's like starting over and I believe I can do tons better -if I can just get my company airborn. I am working on a buiness proposal to ease cash flow, but wow that's still a lotta dough!

Please advise what you would do in this case and tell how long you've been in the industry.

Last edited:
Hey all , I've been a lurker here for about 2 weeks and find this site interesting and sometimes entertaining.

As indicated, I've been in life insurance sales for over 15 years as a capitive agent and manager. The agency was a term shop and I was doing well financially. However the direction of the agency changed and I felt if best at that time to leave since the only thing I had was a "contract".

To make a long story short, Over the past 14 months, I've gone the independent route, selling life and annuity as retirement plans. I've done OK for an undercapitalized
startup but the family has been hungry at times too! I tried to suppliment production with final expense, but got killed on lead cost, yes, even tried NAA and again killed by lead cost.

I've put a plan together to relaunch. I'm going to work my warm market and friends that really care about me for some new leads. I also have a few lunch and learns in the works. I've networked with an Alflac guy to offer health to his clients and then plan cross sell into retirement planning. But

Ameriprise and Nationwide have both been calling, but I feel that's like starting over and I believe I can do tons better -if I can just get my company airborn. I am working on a buiness proposal to ease cash flow, but wow that's still a lotta dough!

Please advise what you would do in this case.

I was in your same exact position not to long ago... doing pretty well as a manager with a captive outfit, but wanted more....

So I resigned and have started building my own agency (we dont even have a name yet) after two months Im right back to the same exact income and its looking very promising...

You gotta be different.... and you gotta be able to meet agents needs, new and old....

Most my agents are brokered, so very little lead support and training, BUT, I let them use my telemarketer at my cost and I pay for their names list...

Bottom line, find a niche, and make it better.... by far the most cost effective way of creating leads is the phone...

hope this helps

As indicated, I've been in life insurance sales for over 15 years as a capitive agent and manager. The agency was a term shop and I was doing well financially. However the direction of the agency changed and I felt if best at that time to leave since the only thing I had was a "contract".

Please advise what you would do in this case.

I think you should try New York Life. If you already have your warm leads, use them because they pay you a salary for three years.

I'm new in the business and I tried selling for Aflac or going independent but I feel I could get the best training and learning experience from working with a captive company. What do you think the pros and cons are working for a captive company.

I see your picture is of Jim Tressel, are living in Ohio?

Nttwrkz1

I was in your same exact position not to long ago... doing pretty well as a manager with a captive outfit, but wanted more....

So I resigned and have started building my own agency (we dont even have a name yet) after two months Im right back to the same exact income and its looking very promising...

You gotta be different.... and you gotta be able to meet agents needs, new and old....

Most my agents are brokered, so very little lead support and training, BUT, I let them use my telemarketer at my cost and I pay for their names list...

Bottom line, find a niche, and make it better.... by far the most cost effective way of creating leads is the phone...

hope this helps

Hey There,

I'm with New York Life and like I was telling the guy above, I'm new to the business and I want to get the best learning experience along with training. Can you tell me what are the pros and cons with working with a captive company? I'm in Twinsburg, OH, where's Huber Heights, OH?

Nttwrkz1

Back