16 Year Old Driving Family Member's Car

Steffen

I'm a 16 year old and just got my drivers licence. I am insured through my mom's insurance for my 2009 Honda Civic. My Grandma recently purchased a new 2020 CR-V, and situations have come up where it would be helpful if I could drive it. Am I legally allowed to drive the CR-V with just the insurance from the Civic or do I need to be added to the CR-V insurance?

Details that may help:
  • We live in Illinois.
  • My Grandma does not live in the same household.

It will cost Grandma many thousands of dollars to add a 16 year old to a 2020 vehicle policy. And if you drive it and she doesn't add you, that's concealment and she can lose her insurance. Worse, you have an accident in her car she could end up paying out of her own pocket.

The best thing you can do for Grandma is NEVER drive her car. Drive her around in yours if necessary.

If the occasion ever arises where somebody else has to drive her car, let it be one of your parents.

If grandma can fit in your car there is no need to drive hers and you might have an incentive to clean your vehicle. She can always call her agent and ask how much it would cost to add you as a driver and it could be worth her while to add you just to keep everyone calm. But I would look to use your vehicle and help her into and out of the vehicle, she might even pay for your gas

If grandma can fit in your car there is no need to drive hers and you might have an incentive to clean your vehicle. She can always call her agent and ask how much it would cost to add you as a driver and it could be worth her while to add you just to keep everyone calm. But I would look to use your vehicle and help her into and out of the vehicle, she might even pay for your gas

I wish my mind was as innocent as yours. When I read the OP, I hear;

"My car is old and small. I can fit more people in my grandma's car and we love cruisin' in the brand new SUV. Mom and dad won't let me take their cars, but grandma never tells me no."

The thought of a 16 year-old just wanting to be helpful and give his grandmother rides didn't even cross my mind.

"My car is old and small. I can fit more people in my grandma's car and we love cruisin' in the brand new SUV. Mom and dad won't let me take their cars, but grandma never tells me no."

The thought of a 16 year-old just wanting to be helpful and give his grandmother rides didn't even cross my mind.
My mind is anything but innocent but after surviving 7 years of taking care of 3 seniors in my household who were at times hard to move, I know what it is like trying to get a senior out of a sportscar and why a jeep grand cherokee works better sometimes. having said that I have found most all grandparents willing to pay for gas when they don't have to and it is certainly an incentive to clean up a vehicle. He asked a legitimate question and got 2 legitimate answers. What he does with that information is up to him and grandma. i have also talked a grandma out of allowing her granddaughter to be on her policy so that the granddaughter could use the vehicle for UBER or DoorDash. If I smell a rat, I usually speak up

My mind is anything but innocent but after surviving 7 years of taking care of 3 seniors in my household who were at times hard to move, I know what it is like trying to get a senior out of a sportscar and why a jeep grand cherokee works better sometimes. having said that I have found most all grandparents willing to pay for gas when they don't have to and it is certainly an incentive to clean up a vehicle. He asked a legitimate question and got 2 legitimate answers. What he does with that information is up to him and grandma. i have also talked a grandma out of allowing her granddaughter to be on her policy so that the granddaughter could use the vehicle for UBER or DoorDash. If I smell a rat, I usually speak up

Back