17 year old male insurance

Awesome1491

Hi I'm a 17 years old male living in South Florida and am looking to buy a 2002 honda civic coupe and am looking for an estimate of how much insurance will cost

At 17 have you been listed as a driver on a previous policy? Many carriers require 2-3 years of coverage before you can get your own policy but if available liability only will average about 3200.00. You may have to have a parent sign the policy since you are a minor

There are many factors that go into finding a rate... type of car, zip code, your credit, driving record, where you live, how much you commute, have you graduated, who you live with, do you rent, own, live with parents etc etc etc

That said, I think this would be a good place to see if there are any licensed Florida producers here (Feel free to chime in FL people) that may be able to PM Mr. Awesome and help by getting some real quotes for him.

i would be out on my parents insurance with the car in my name my mom is 42 with an almost perfect driving record and my dad is 47 with a decent driving record

i would be out on my parents insurance

Then your parents should be the ones talking to their insurance agent about adding your car to their policy.

with the car in my name

Not a good idea. I know you want to be independent and own your own car but it's better for your parents to own it and have you as a driver. I owned my daughter's car until she finished college and moved out. Got the best rates that way. When she moved out I signed the car over to her and she got her own insurance.

my mom is 42 with an almost perfect driving record and my dad is 47 with a decent driving record

"Almost perfect", "decent driving record" doesn't say much. How many tickets and accidents are on their records in the past 3 years?

How many tickets and accidents are on your record for the last 3 years?

I suggest that you and your parents sit down with their current insurance agent and decide on the best way to handle it.

but it's better for your parents to own it and have you as a driver. I owned my daughter's car until she finished college and moved out. Got the best rates that way. When she moved out I signed the car over to her and she got her own insurance

couple reasons why this is or may not be true or better.

1. Some carriers allow a child starting their own policy who has been properly listed on the existing policy to start their own policy utilizing the parents longevity credits, their multi policy credit, claim history credits, insurance credit based scoring. thus, the rate is the same as it would be if it was added to the parents policy. may actually be cheaper as the young person might not require as high of liability limits as the parents.

2. by putting the car in his own name, he wont expose his parents to lawsuits when he turns 18. Having the parents title the policy can expose them to potential lawsuits if they exceed the policy liability limits.

So, there can be pros & cons in this type of situation as to who should own the title & who should insure, etc

couple reasons why this is or may not be true or better.

1. Some carriers allow a child starting their own policy who has been properly listed on the existing policy to start their own policy utilizing the parents longevity credits, their multi policy credit, claim history credits, insurance credit based scoring. thus, the rate is the same as it would be if it was added to the parents policy. may actually be cheaper as the young person might not require as high of liability limits as the parents.

2. by putting the car in his own name, he wont expose his parents to lawsuits when he turns 18. Having the parents title the policy can expose them to potential lawsuits if they exceed the policy liability limits.

So, there can be pros & cons in this type of situation as to who should own the title & who should insure, etc
I did this with my son at 19.5. He got a great policy at a very good rate, after riding on ours for the first 4 years.

Back