2009: How Was It for You?

G.Gordon

Guru
1000 Post Club
Missouri
Overall I'd have to give 2009 a B+.
  1. Lisa quit her job and returned to the insurance office. This AEP would have been murder without her.
  2. We averaged better than one new client every other business day with most of them coming from word-of-mouth referrals.
  3. We moved into a bigger office, twice.
  4. We both did some traveling. Me on my motorcycle she to Vegas. A couple of long weekends in a rental home on a lake. We sold both our motorcycles for other travel horizons.
  5. Putting Yoda on ignore was the best move of the year.
Yep... it was a decent year.

Last edited:
Congrats G.! Sounds like you were cuttin' and tyin' bales all year long. I knew somebody made some money somewhere...
Do you mean you even went on some TRIPS???? Must be nice. Only the best for some people!

Now, I have to give it a "D". FE sales came easy, but my market let me down. Made lots of sales, but many never paid up! Ended up with nearly 40% cancels and lapses. And you know where that left me.

The only trips I made were to the dollar store, (only place I can afford to go), occasionally Wally World, and the gas station that would give me a discount for cash. NOW, I'm out of cash. This ain't funny! True story.

But, but, I tapped into my first little MS sale and am hoping for a huge turnaround for 2010.

Got to go. Have to call the electric company to see if they'll give me a couple weeks until I can do better.

See you in Cancun next November!:wideeyed:

No "company" trips this year. Didn't want any. They suck for the most part.

No matter what direction you decide to go in this business; go full bore. What have you got to lose?

40% not taken in FE is odd. Any time you're having that type of a result you're doing something wrong. Pushing, begging, making the sale more important to you than the client, etc.

Good luck and here's to a better 2010 for ya. Like I've said before, there's nothing more confidence building than knowledge. Knowledge paired with activity equals results if done with the right attitude.

Oh... all that bashing you got from Motorcylegogo... that was me. Moto is my wife's screen name and sometimes at home I don't bother signing her out when I use her laptop.

No "company" trips this year. Didn't want any. They suck for the most part.

That's usually what people who didn't qualify say.
All the trips I have been on have been pretty nice.
I'm not talking about going to Ohio to see a home office.

I'm talking about vacation.

Isnt that why we are in this business
-renewals
-can make a lot of money (and help people while doing it)
-and the TRIPS.

-renewals
-and the TRIPS.

I'm sure if I "steered" a few more to this company or that one I'd of qualified for something. Honestly we kept things pretty spread out between multiple companies for more than one reason. We've been to resorts in Scottsdale, Alaska/Carib Cruises, etc. I don't like someone else telling me when/where to be. I like my own pace. The Arizona trip for example... I made them pay me to ride my motorcycle out there instead of flying. Then after the "deal" was over I rode over to the Gila NF in New Mexico for a real vacation at my speed: A one room cabin and long days of riding the back roads of the Gila NF and Monticello Box Canyon.

Leave me alone, pay me, and I'll take care of my own vacation.

Isla Mujeres in Feb. 2010. No other insurance agents around.

-renewals
-and the TRIPS.

The problem(if you can call it that), with the trips is...it's considered as income and added to your income for the year. And it can add up to quite a big chunk of change.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Congrats G.! Sounds like you were cuttin' and tyin' bales all year long. I knew somebody made some money somewhere...
Do you mean you even went on some TRIPS???? Must be nice. Only the best for some people!

Now, I have to give it a "D". FE sales came easy, but my market let me down. Made lots of sales, but many never paid up! Ended up with nearly 40% cancels and lapses. And you know where that left me.

The only trips I made were to the dollar store, (only place I can afford to go), occasionally Wally World, and the gas station that would give me a discount for cash. NOW, I'm out of cash. This ain't funny! True story.

But, but, I tapped into my first little MS sale and am hoping for a huge turnaround for 2010.

Got to go. Have to call the electric company to see if they'll give me a couple weeks until I can do better.

See you in Cancun next November!:wideeyed:

Forty percent cancels and lapses:swoon:

I would agree with G. Gordon...you're doing something wrong. No wonder you're hurting for money.

I've had a real good 2009 and hope 2010 is even more profitable.

Last edited:
2009 was OK. I wrote more than I lost. That is my goal each year.
When I speak of "lost", on the group side, client went BK or out of business, or, sold to a bigger company.
On the individual side, client died, obtained group coverage, or, moved out of state.
I lose very few clients because of lack of service, or, not a competitive product.

2009 was a great year for me. I'm getting much better at selling multiple products rather than focusing all on one thing. I work a smaller area than most of you. I never drive more than 15 miles to an appointment. So I try to add more products to sell rather than expand the area.

Opening a physical office has been a huge improvement for us. My wife has started requiring ALL Medicare clients to come to her rather than running all over to see them. This has made her VERY productive and the clients seem much more solid. We have also gotten a huge number of referals this year and I think that's partially due to the physical office.

I'm expecting 2010 to be the best year ever. I think there is PLENTY of opportunity for us if we work smart.

And I agree that if you had 40% of ANY product fall off the books, you are doing something way wrong. Probably closing WAY too hard.

I've been on 15 insurance company trips and they have all been great. I get recharged and you make connections with people who are successful doing the same thing you do but often have different approaches and ideas. I recommend that everyone select their main carrier for 2010 by January 1st and make it one of your goals to earn that company trip.

Well, it had not been a year for me as I started in April 2009 as a captive under Bankers for about four months and I will consider that On the job training...

After deciding to leave Bankers and become indy, it only took 2 months to get all of the agent agreements processed by the insurance companies for one reason or another.

By the time I was ready to begin selling, I had some consulting work (high dollar, guaranteed income) thrown my way, etc, etc.

In short, I have put in about 1.5 months into the bus as an indy and have over 20 clients, but my close ratio is extremely high as I take a fair amount of time during each visit explaining options and always receiving gratitude at the conclusion of my visit. My close ratio is over 82%. I have not lost a client yet, but I think it is too early in the game to attempt to realistically factor that stat now...

So, I am hoping for a great 2010 and will have the ability to focus on executing my marketing plan.

All the best to those on this forum.
Happy and safe New Year,
Mike

Back