2015 Exchange Policy Holders Changing 2016 Plan

saintstigers

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
I have a client that is on a 2015 Coventry exchange plan and does not want to renew with them for 2016. They want to go with a UH1 exchange plan for 2016. So they went ahead and enrolled in the UH1 2016 exchange plan thru my HS consumer link.

What's the best way for my client to ensure that their Coventry plan is not renewed for 2016 and they are not charged and billed for 2 plans. I guess they could call hc.gov but I worry that the hc.gov reps might mess with the 2016 plan (like strip my NPN). Would the best way be to go into their hc.gov account and terminate their 2015 plan mid/end of Dec?

How do the carriers know not to auto-renew/enroll one of their policy holders for 2016.

I would guess just to call Coventry. But I'm only responding to make sure I see this post answered when I come back.

This is something I'm concerned about, too!

If they call-in to terminate their 2015 plan, the Rep at hc.gov is probably gonna go in there & strip your NPN.
I refuse to call-in & waste an hour of my time with the client on a 3-way call (or even without the client).

Last year, I asked my clients to make a "quick" call to HC.gov & tell them to authorize me to speak with hc.gov on their behalf. Then, I called in & handled things like this...in the middle of the night (when hold times were tolerable).
But, some of my clients got really frustrated....holding for an hour & then getting a dial tone.

I'm thinking that I'm gonna go into their hc.gov accounts WITH the client & see if the 2015 plan has been terminated (or not).

At this point, I'm almost ready to go back to hc.gov for all enrollments, anyway. My favorite engine is just confusing people who sailed-through that same engine last year (with NO agent assistance at all)....all the way to self-enrollment.

The biggest problem about having TWO policies in force at the same time (accidentally)....in Jan 2016 is:
- WHAT if an APTC is paid to TWO different insurance companies by our fine government?

Our client would then have to re-pay the extra APTC (that they didn't want/need in the 1st place). They would NOT be happy campers!

This issue is what I am completely unclear on when using a WBE.

Even if you go in and "cancel" the WBE 2015 app 12/31/15 after creating a new 2016 WBE app in Sherpa or aca express, there is still another 2016 app (where they are assuming the person is renewing) that has been automatically created for most people. This is created by the marketplace (I assume) and has a different application number from the 2015 one. I have seen it in my clients where their current plan is available next year. There is not one there for clients whose 2015 carriers are pulling from the market.

What happens to THAT app? Will the auto-created 2016 app be destroyed by the newly created 2016 app?

Last edited:
This issue is what I am completely unclear on when using a WBE.

Even if you go in and "cancel" the WBE 2015 app 12/31/15 after creating a new 2016 WBE app in Sherpa or aca express, there is still another 2016 app (where they are assuming the person is renewing) that has been automatically created for most people. This is created by the marketplace (I assume) and has a different application number from the 2015 one. I have seen it in my clients where their current plan is available next year. There is not one there for clients whose 2015 carriers are pulling from the market.

What happens to THAT app? Will the auto-created 2016 app be destroyed by the newly created 2016 app?

You would think that hc.gov would take a page out of the medicare.gov playbook. If someone applies for a new 2016 plan it automatically "terms" the auto-renewal/enrollment.

You would think that hc.gov would take a page out of the medicare.gov playbook. If someone applies for a new 2016 plan it automatically "terms" the auto-renewal/enrollment.

That IS how its supposed to work.

Whether or not it really does is yet to be seen

Back