2017 PA ACA Rate Filings

pahealthquotes

Guru
1000 Post Club
Health Insurance Rate Filings

Of note Highmark Health Insurance Co ( largest PA blue ) 48.10 % increase.

I suppose Highmark doesn't want anything with the individual market....

What's baffling to me is UPMC which gained huge market share in 2015/16 has very moderate rate increases of 16.16 and 0.93.

Maybe UPMC doesn't plan on paying commissions, and has a very narrow medical network for 2017. Those are important items that we won't know until...when?

Last I heard, February 1st, 2017. Changes retroactive to all policies sold after November 1st, 2016.

;)

Last I heard, February 1st, 2017. Changes retroactive to all policies sold after November 1st, 2016.

;)

I don't think it will be THAT extreme, but the lack of knowing in advance if/how much we'll be paid for 2017 business is making a lot of these 2017 premium numbers pretty meaningless at this point. If there's no commissions, I'll be referring everyone to HealthCare.gov's 1-800 number, just like I'm doing now for SEPs. I quote, advise, and send to 1-800-318-2596 to enroll.

Blue Cross Blue Shield estimates its Obamacare plans in Louisiana will lose more than $200 million by the end of this year. Maginnis said roughly half of those losses are the result of low payments from a federal program meant to protect insurers from heavy losses in the early years of the Affordable Care Act.

The program was designed to take money from insurers that are doing well and give it to struggling insurers. In practice, the program has taken in far less money than what has been requested out of it.

Congress this year blocked the federal government from shifting other funds to make payments. The program disappears entirely in 2017.

Maginnis said Blue Cross Blue Shield wants to remain in the federal insurance marketplaces, but it cannot continue to prop up plans that lose money. It's "simply not sustainable," he said.

"We're in business to create a margin that's large enough to keep us operating," he said.

Louisiana insurers among those seeking Obamacare rate hikes | NOLA.com

Maybe UPMC doesn't plan on paying commissions, and has a very narrow medical network for 2017. Those are important items that we won't know until...when?

UPMC does have two networks with one being very narrow. Commissions are attractive on the narrow partner network not so much on the premium network.

Positives selling UPMC

1. Commissions are paid on time with very few discrepancies
2. Brand Recognition in Western PA
3. Most that purchase will strictly use UPMC doctors
4. Premiums have been much more stable compared to BCBS

Attachments

• UPMC COMMISSIONS.jpg
    UPMC COMMISSIONS.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 11
...and TN rates are on hc.gov. Biggest on-ex carrier requesting +54% increase. Looks like they are decreasing plan choices as well.

Back