2018 Part B Premium

Not really Scott.

There is (AFAIK) one SS Trust fund that pays out SS, SSDI and SSI.

Medicare has 2 separate trust funds. One for hospital, one for supplemental medical (essentially Part B).

All of them have IOU's, no real $$ in them and no lockbox. (That was a joke).

Technically all of them are insolvent. But so if the federal govt.

$20 trillion in excess debt.

Another $100 trillion or so in unfunded liability.

The US collects about $3 trillion every year.

Putting in perspective, if you earn $100,000 and spend $130,000 that won't last long. So you spend every dollar you take in plus another 30% on top of that. Now you find yourself with accumulated debt equal to 7x your annual gross income.

That's like having a $700,000 mortgage but only $100,000 in income.

Plus you have ongoing liabilities for debt service. That's another $3,5000,000 you owe in future debts.

Get the picture?

But to answer your question, there should be several YT video's about all the $$ DC collects and fritters away.

That's like having a $700,000 mortgage but only $100,000 in income.

Plus you have ongoing liabilities for debt service. That's another $3,5000,000 you owe in future debts.

Get the picture?

Most will have this:

box 1.jpg

While the fortunate few will have this:
1-cardboard-house 2.jpg

:twitchy:

Could easily still be a day or a couple weeks
Yeah, I just always thought its kinda wrong to expect people to make a decision when they don't have all the information. CMS really needs to start announcing the Part B premium in September.

On another note. Did you see the AARP medsupp rate changes for next year? 4.9%.... biggest jump I've ever seen from them.

Haven't heard anything yet, any word on what the Medicare part B premium will be in 2018?
Though not official yet, there has been nothing to change the Medicare trustees projection of no increase to the $134 standard Part B premium. But it will go up for those who have paid less than $134 due to the hold harmless protection being lifted by next year's SSA COLA. There will also be an increase for IRMAA people over $133K/$267K (single/joint filers) due to the MACRA legislation in 2015.

Though not official yet, there has been nothing to change the Medicare trustees projection of no increase to the $134 standard Part B premium.
The $134 projection was based on a SS COLA estimate of 2.2%. The actual COLA came in at 2.0% meaning the amount transferred from SSA to CMS will be less than first thought. The unknown is the shortfall large enough to cause an increase in the standard premium calculation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just always thought its kinda wrong to expect people to make a decision when they don't have all the information. CMS really needs to start announcing the Part B premium in September.

On another note. Did you see the AARP medsupp rate changes for next year? 4.9%.... biggest jump I've ever seen from them.

Yup. Noticed that. Picked up United American this week. In Polk, Tampa area they have the lowest plan F now. Lifetime full renewals.

Back