2020 First Dollar Coverage Going Away Not Set in Stone?

Was just talking to someone who ranks up there in the country for sales for Medicare, and they are on a Medicare board for a National publication, they said that the 2020 first dollar coverage plans being eliminated isn't set in stone.

How are you discussing this (if you are) with your prospects/clients? I am finding it is a great wedge discussion.

Do you think it will happen if so what's the percentage chances in your opinion?

Was just talking to someone who ranks up there in the country for sales for Medicare, and they are on a Medicare board for a National publication, they said that the 2020 first dollar coverage plans being eliminated isn't set in stone.

How are you discussing this (if you are) with your prospects/clients? I am finding it is a great wedge discussion.

Do you think it will happen if so what's the percentage chances in your opinion?

worrying about something that is heavily influenced by politics and that is still five years out from happening is insane

Trust me, I am not worrying. If anyone should worry it would be the Medicare beneficiaries. It's 4 years away, and that goes by mighty fast. I have seen carriers reposition for Obamacare years in advance of the plans debuting, so I don't think it is unlikely we might start to see some changes or conversations happening, which is why I started this thread.

If I am not mentioning this possibility with clients and prospects, and preparing them for it, then I feel I have done them a disservice.

It seems like it would be more of a scare to the consumer at this time because you cannot answer their concerns or questions.
I would wait until all the facts are in then discuss.

Im going to use it this afternoon at a T65 appt. He already signed up for plan F ($135), and I can get him plan G ($83). So there's the savings plus the longevity of the plan bc of the 2020 thing...

If you don't tell them what might happen I think you are doing a disservice.

Same thing with Part B deductible increase next year. We don't know for sure how much, but if you are selling anything other than F I feel it is judicious to at least prepare them for more OOP

If you don't tell them what might happen I think you are doing a disservice.

Same thing with Part B deductible increase next year. We don't know for sure how much, but if you are selling anything other than F I feel it is judicious to at least prepare them for more OOP

I agree. I find talking about the Part B deductible increase, along with Part B premium going up (minus the years with no COLA increase), definitely sets me apart from the field of product peddlers but above all gets the senior ready for any possible changes coming down the road.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer to focus on the for-sures as opposed to the might-happens. My clients know that when things change (as I prep them for) we will adapt at that time. Speculation on the unknowable is a waste of energy both for me and them and can/would cause unnecessary hand-wringing for some folks.

But to each their own, of course.

I don't think it hurts to talk about it, but there there is no solution in place.

All we know is that if the law stands like it is now in 2020, C and F will no longer be available to new beneficiaries starting 1/1/2020.

The question becomes, how will the market adjust? Will D and G replace C and F in the GI landscape? Will we have new letter plans to offer in 2020 that take the place of C and F?

Back