25 year old former debit agent.

Conformity

I began in the insurance industry with United Insurance Company of America, out in North Carolina. I made a lot of money as a home service agent and I did very well on my book, but eventually left as their contract and practices were considerably twisted. Regardless, I met a lot of great people working there and obtained both my L&H and P&C licenses from my employment there.

After two years at United, I followed my ex-girlfriend's father (the guy who got me working at United) over to Modern Woodmen of America. I flopped. I was in a difficult period of my life. Being twenty-five and from out of state, I didn't have the same social circles as a lot of the people who were successful in that office. I did my best to stir up business from cold calling and doing what's referred to as "camp events", but I was unable to get to where I needed to be, financially.

I left the state and started touring with heavy metal bands. I ended up in Pittsburgh, living with my girlfriend.

I didn't initially want to get back into the insurance business, and I'm still unsure if I do.

Since I've arrived to the area, I've frantically tried to get a job. I haven't earned a good and steady income for quite some time. Having mixed success with insurance companies, I decided I'd shoot more towards a sales position doing something else. In my search, I found it more and more difficult to find adequately paying jobs that I'm "qualified" for.

I've posted my resume online and registered at multiple staffing agencies. I get phone calls about being a forklift operator for ten dollars an hour. I go to interview for a position as a proofreader at a law firm downtown and I'm offered eight dollars an hour.

I'm also getting offers from various insurance companies, trying to schedule interviews. I blew someone from Western & Southern off, as I have a lot of close friends that came from that company who speak very ill of it.

Recently, I've been in contact with a gentleman from Horace Mann who strikes me as a very decent individual. The job sounds tempting and honestly, it even sounds interesting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my current situation or working for Horace Mann in general?

If I made it as a home service agent and fell apart as an ordinary agent, are the odds against me? Is it possible to get into the P&C side of things?

Give me some input, if you'd be so kind.

At United, I was making between $800 and $1300 for an entire year. I didn't make a thing at Modern Woodmen, and by the time I made a sale, I decided to quit and give it to a friend of mine as I knew I wasn't going to get the commissions for a while afterwards.

Touring with a band, I earned a probably $200 to $400 a week. Depended on how the shows were and how hard I begged for tips.

At this point in my life, I would be content with even $500 a week.

I personally sell health insurance... average commission is around $500-700 per approved application if you are working on an advance. Not sure what state you are in now... have you checked out the Pajama Man?

A lot of us sell health and life insurance over the phone with internet leads. You get hooked up with a good agency locally they can provide you with leads and advances. If you can sell in the home, look for Final Expense. They advance on submission. You don't sound like you would have a problem getting started quickly. It's better than any job.

where do you get your leads from?

the problem is, I'm strapped for cash right now. i'm totally broke - i cant even afford to switch my licenses to pennsylvania.

i had some friends that tried strictly health insurance over the phone. how would i get started?

Real metal like Dio and Armored Saint and Anvil and Accept, or that new metal crap? ha ha { you can tell I'm old school}

Anyway, my screen name says it all, I'm a home service, or debit , agent. Through and through.

Basically, I also worked for United and AGLA. Early 1990's to mid 90's. United sold out to Reliable, and when I try to apply there at Reliable, the rule now is that they will not hire ex-agents.

I have thought about American National but it does not really strike me as something I want to do right now.

You can maybe still get a debit contract with Columbian out of NY, check into it. Not captive, you could sell debit and ordinary, a mix.

Let us know about Horrace Mann, they keep advertising around here for agents.

Flat broke huh?

Well, I would just get a job, any job right now. Even the forklift operator.
Try workforce development (the equivalent of the unemployment agency.) Tell them you have insurance sales experience but you do not have the resources yet to be commission only. They may have a call center position open. Keep your expenses low, take the bus, get a few hundred dollars together and READ THIS BOARD if you want to do insurance sales. You'll be ready soon enough to sell online, in home...whatever. You are young enough to start building a good career. There is money in independent commission insurance sales but, it is my opinion you need to be at least standing on your feet before you get in it.

Real metal like Dio and Armored Saint and Anvil and Accept, or that new metal crap? ha ha { you can tell I'm old school}

Anyway, my screen name says it all, I'm a home service, or debit , agent. Through and through.

Basically, I also worked for United and AGLA. Early 1990's to mid 90's. United sold out to Reliable, and when I try to apply there at Reliable, the rule now is that they will not hire ex-agents.

I have thought about American National but it does not really strike me as something I want to do right now.

You can maybe still get a debit contract with Columbian out of NY, check into it. Not captive, you could sell debit and ordinary, a mix.

Let us know about Horrace Mann, they keep advertising around here for agents.

My old DM just became a RVP with Columbian, I'm pretty sure. He tried recruiting me, thinking I still lived in North Carolina. He also discussed with the idea of getting me cleared for re-hire.

Haha, and no, not Dio and Armored Saint. Like I said, I'm 25. It's been with a lot of newer metal bands, but I'm pretty well versed in a lot of 80's thrash and stuff like that.

I'll keep updates about Horace Mann.

Back