25 Years Old, No Health Problems, Denied Insurance

dlomax6542

Hello,

A little over two years ago, after about 5 years of having no insurance coverage, I decided it was time to get some coverage. I went through an agent, who worked with me to get a policy written. She thought it was a no-brainer as I have had no serious medical conditions except when I was 4 years old. When I was 4, I had serious cancer and underwent a 6 months in in-patient chemotherapy and had several surgeries to remove two tumors. Luckily we had health insurance back then and to this day I am completely cancer free. Not remission, but cancer free. It's not even an issue, so on the application I was reluctant to even mention this because first of all, it shouldn't matter, second of all, those medical records if they even still exist are in some hospital basement somewhere and couldn't be found even you tried.
My agent calls and tells me after weeks of fighting them they say there is nothing they can do and will not write a policy for me. Unbelievable. I have been beating myself up about this because I REALLY needed that insurance and I feel like I have permanently stigmatized my record because it's my understanding that this information has now been placed on my MIB file for any other insurance company I apply to see. But, here's where it gets interesting. Two months ago, well over a year after being told I can't get insurance, I requested a copy of my MIB file and they have no file or reports on me. This is what has been puzzling me. One scenario for why this is the case is by mentioning cancer, my application failed the pre-screen and my application never even made to official underwriting. I for sure know they never requested any medical records from the hospital. Or, maybe I got lucky? Either way I can't stop thinking about this and would love to hear from someone who is familiar with this. Should I reapply with a different company?

Thanks for reading,
David

Just shop around also open enrollment starts soon for Aca and you can get coverage jan 1 with no underwriting

MIB records only go back 7 years.

If your cancer was "cured" and no treatment in the last 5 - 10 years there was no reason to disclose on the application unless the question asked if you have EVER had cancer.

Sounds like you had a dud for an agent.

MIB records only go back 7 years.

Sounds like you had a dud for an agent.

Even though the application was submitted to the insurance company only 2 years ago? I would think they would want to flag it but they didnt at least as of 2 months ago. Made its in a queue to be put on there? Or maybe it's only when they actually verify it via medical records which they didn't.

Reapply with someone else. I was recently turned down by Humana but accepted by Anthem.

Right that's what I am considering but I am paranoid about them discovering my "disclosure" to the first insurance company and them later rescinding my policy when it comes time to make a big claim. Isn't that the game these companies play? I guess it's just a matter of whether or not insurance companies share application info in a "secret" database other than the MIB.

Right that's what I am considering but I am paranoid about them discovering my "disclosure" to the first insurance company and them later rescinding my policy when it comes time to make a big claim. Isn't that the game these companies play? I guess it's just a matter of whether or not insurance companies share application info in a "secret" database other than the MIB.

Nothing matters as long as you answer all questions truthfully to the best of your knowledge.

Nothing matters as long as you answer all questions truthfully to the best of your knowledge.

Right. If the question on the application is "In the last 10 years, have you been diagnosed with, treated for or advised to have treatment for cancer..." then the truthful answer is no. In this case, if they issue the policy, they can't rescind it because you had cancer more than 10 years ago. If the question is if you have ever had cancer and you answer no, then you have a problem.

Besides, for a policy with a 1/1/2014 effective date it won't matter so don't sweat it too much.

P.S.: Do you want health insurance now because you suspect a serious problem? If so, there will be a question to catch that kind of thing in most applications.

Some companies ask if you've ever had cancer, some companies only ask in the past 5-10 years. Use one that only goes back 5-10 years. Make sure you read the wording of that question on the app before submitting another one. Sounds like your agent didn't know what they were doing.

Back