3 Questions About Breaking Out of Captivity

scottstreet

Guru
100+ Post Club
currently at a carrer shop and contemplating Indy. have a few questions for the vets...
What kind of production is needed with the big IMO's to get contracts 20-30% over street? Using BA for example......

What is case managment like relative to career shops? I can currently contact underwriting directly I assume this will no longer be the case...how important is this?

lastly do outside appointments with companies like Pru and MoO allow you to write P&C with Liberty Mutual as you can in the career shops?
Thanks for the input, Jim

currently at a carrer shop and contemplating Indy. have a few questions for the vets...
What kind of production is needed with the big IMO's to get contracts 20-30% over street? Using BA for example......

What is case managment like relative to career shops? I can currently contact underwriting directly I assume this will no longer be the case...how important is this?

lastly do outside appointments with companies like Pru and MoO allow you to write P&C with Liberty Mutual as you can in the career shops?
Thanks for the input, Jim

To get 20-30% over street, you must have a long and provable track record of recruiting, as well as already have a hierarchy of many down line agents in place. Otherwise, without an established agency, you won't get such contracts. If so, everyone would be doing it.

My suggestion would be to find a good IMO who helps their agents (formerly captive especially) to get at least contracts above street, with the ability to gradually increase from there. As long as you produce and recruit as an indy agency, the big commission levels will eventually come along.

Best wishes on your future endeavors, and good decision to go indy!!

Anybody have any thoughts about the underwriting access question?

Depends on the company. Some companies like you to talk to the underwriter. Some act as if the world will end if you even talk to someone in the same building.

I recommend finding a company that will take the majority of your business, and using other companies as needed. Your primary carrier should be able to address your most important needs. So rank in importance to you: rates, ease of underwriting, ease of doing business, commissions, turn around time, etc. Then find a company that does the best against this and send most of your business there.

Back