5 Ways 2020 Medigap Changes Are Driving States Wild

Mar 7, 2019

1. Bevo

Bevo Guru

State:
    Texas
    I was in the front row of this conference. It was a complete joke as were the presenters, clearly bought and paid for. Keep in mind AARP/UHC did not have a Plan G then so that was likely a highly motivating factor for them to push their "Please don't steal our Plan F clients" agenda.

Bevo, Mar 7, 2019
  2. Chazm

Chazm Guru

State:
    Florida
    I know in FL UHC AARP didn’t raise their plan J higher than any other plan. So I tell my clients that plan G May be the safer bet, but don’t let anyone tell you it’s a sure thing that F will increase more.

Chazm, Mar 7, 2019
  3. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    If AARP has not raised on plan J maybe I wouldn't get too much into it in FL, However, every person I spoke with NON AARP plan J had higher rates some not too much higher some very high, Spoke to a guy in CA several years ago paying $645 per month plan J

vic120, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Chazm

Chazm Guru

State:
    Florida
    Oh yeah, I agree. Plan J across the board in FL had high rate increases, minus uhc.

I just inform clients that I suspect plan F will have bigger rate increases but it wasn’t the case in the past with uhc. I push G and N.
    Also, uhc still allows F to G switch with no underwriting. As of today that is.

Chazm, Mar 7, 2019
  5. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee

I remember seeing they stopped the internal switching no underwriting, I don't know maybe state specific but I did get an email about that from either UHC or FMO several months ago

vic120, Mar 7, 2019
  6. LostDollar

LostDollar Guru

State:
    Kansas
    There was a thread discussion here about that awhile back. I don't remember the specifics either. Chazm may have posted at that time that they had not yet made that change in FL-again dont remember for sure.

7. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    They have also become tougher on underwriting in many of my state IL.NC TX to name a few, Been getting people used to be an easy issue getting bumped up to level 2 premium things like had a stent 6 years ago you have a heart condition whatever

also, they are no longer the least expensive in NY so a lot of changes with them

vic120, Mar 7, 2019
  8. axeman462

axeman462 Guru

State:
    Florida
    It is misleading, because its not necessarily true. I have met several customers in Florida that still have a plan J with AARP from eons ago. The price they are paying for it is still reasonable, and very competitive to even a Plan F is priced today.

9. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee

Still rare and probably FL specific. It's not like most are saying the sky is fallen change now or you're doomed

Most are basically saying this may happen and besides the cost dif today is between $3 and $6 per year and that may be greater down the line

I personally believe with the exception of a few mainly AARP the rest will go up in premium faster and some way faster after 2020 as many already favor G from F in pricing by a bit

Some I think won't be as fast but are already the higher rates AARP outside of FL maybe some of the BC as well

if it were my own Mother I wouldn't want her on plan F for this reason among others

vic120, Mar 7, 2019
  10. Todd King

Todd King IMO/FMO Owner

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, but the biggest difference there is that not that many people were on Plan J. The majority of Med Supp people were/are on a Plan F.