5 Ways 2020 Medigap Changes Are Driving States Wild

Mar 7, 2019

1. Midlevel

Midlevel Guru

What I find kind of funny is how we worry so much about people on Medicare and their premium going up a little. If it gets up to $165/month they start to freak out. Sometimes I remind them that I have clients under age 65 paying over $3000/month for a family with a $6500/$13000 deductible before they get any coverage. I get they are on a fixed income, etc. but just find it funny how they all think it should be under $100 and then not have any copays. And yes I do contact people whose premium goes up and switch them to a different company because if I don't someone else will. Some even complain about a little copay on an MAPD and then I have to remind them they are paying $0 premium to have it.

2. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    Don't know if D will be GI or not.

D is G except it does not pay xs charges. Only a handful of carriers in my state offer D and only one (as I recall) charges LESS than G.

I have only seen one or maybe two group Medigap plans and they are NOT standardized. Most of the retiree plans are MA.

Does UHC offer group retiree plans or are you referring to the individual Medigap plans issued via the Trust and Master Contract?

I don't consider myself a rogue agent. Maverick, yes, but not rogue.

But I do advise folks that often rates increase on a closed block of business because the group is getting older and sicker. If that is illegal guess I need to turn myself in.

somarco, Mar 7, 2019
  3. somarco

somarco GA Medicare Expert

State:
    Georgia
    I thought they had/will eliminate that in some states.

somarco, Mar 7, 2019
  4. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I def don't agree with the statement and tell my client the same as you, I only stated the language I have seen

vic120, Mar 7, 2019
  5. alphawave2k

alphawave2k Super Genius

State:
    Georgia
    I guess they don't want to advertise that too loudly? I haven't seen any reference to this event...only licensed in GA and is not my go-to plan, unless someone insists. Still have to write so many annually to keep your renewals. I had attended a meeting where a regional Mgr came and said they were waiving that requirement if you wrote or had enough MAPD plans on the books, but the local rep referred me back to the AARP Agent guide.

6. goillini52

goillini52 MAGA...Eat More Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    I tell people that I expect Plan F rates to go up at a faster pace than the other plans after 2020, because it'll be a closed book of business and there won't be any "new blood". When only sick people are left, the premiums will go up faster. :yes:

They all want Plan G now anyway. Nobody wants to pay $300-$500 a year for a $185 benefit. :no:

7. springbokhouston

springbokhouston Guru

State:
    Texas
    I want to see how they will prosecute someone that saves a client $600 a year moving them from a F to a G. Even if F doesn't increase as logic would predict, the beneficiary is still significantly better off immediately.

8. Chazm

Chazm Guru

State:
    Florida
    Only in some states. I checked and moved someone in January.

Chazm, Mar 8, 2019
  9. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    Still this plus other things I have mentioned, Seems change is in the air with them

vic120, Mar 8, 2019
  10. fishfortwo

fishfortwo Expert

They stopped plan transfers in Virginia last October. Their underwriting has tightened as well. I had several that answered no to every question that would have sailed right through previously. They were accepted but at level 2. I believe they are looking farther back than before or at least farther than the questions ask.