5 Ways 2020 Medigap Changes Are Driving States Wild

What I find kind of funny is how we worry so much about people on Medicare and their premium going up a little. If it gets up to $165/month they start to freak out. Sometimes I remind them that I have clients under age 65 paying over $3000/month for a family with a $6500/$13000 deductible before they get any coverage. I get they are on a fixed income, etc. but just find it funny how they all think it should be under $100 and then not have any copays. And yes I do contact people whose premium goes up and switch them to a different company because if I don't someone else will. Some even complain about a little copay on an MAPD and then I have to remind them they are paying $0 premium to have it.

D supposed to be one of the new "go-to" plans, like N, because it won't be a GI plan like G starting in 2020?

Don't know if D will be GI or not.

D is G except it does not pay xs charges. Only a handful of carriers in my state offer D and only one (as I recall) charges LESS than G.

group retiree plans, some of which aren't a true supplement plan. So they can keep their "F" plan. But the AARP/UHC group retiree plans are actual med supps.

I have only seen one or maybe two group Medigap plans and they are NOT standardized. Most of the retiree plans are MA.

Does UHC offer group retiree plans or are you referring to the individual Medigap plans issued via the Trust and Master Contract?

I believe I have seen a video of an AARP seminar where they were saying it was illegal to tell clients plan F premiums may go up due to changes in 2020 something about rogue agents saying premiums would go up

I don't consider myself a rogue agent. Maverick, yes, but not rogue.

But I do advise folks that often rates increase on a closed block of business because the group is getting older and sicker. If that is illegal guess I need to turn myself in.

Don't know if it will be GI or not.

I don't consider myself a rogue agent. Maverick, yes, but not rogue.

But I do advise folks that often rates increase on a closed block of business because the group is getting older and sicker. If that is illegal guess I need to turn myself in.

I def don't agree with the statement and tell my client the same as you, I only stated the language I have seen

Also, uhc still allows F to G switch with no underwriting. As of today that is.

I thought they had/will eliminate that in some states.
I guess they don't want to advertise that too loudly? I haven't seen any reference to this event...only licensed in GA and is not my go-to plan, unless someone insists. Still have to write so many annually to keep your renewals. I had attended a meeting where a regional Mgr came and said they were waiving that requirement if you wrote or had enough MAPD plans on the books, but the local rep referred me back to the AARP Agent guide.

Still rare and probably FL specific. It's not like most are saying the sky is fallen change now or you're doomed

Most are basically saying this may happen and besides the cost dif today is between $3 and $6 per year and that may be greater down the line

I personally believe with the exception of a few mainly AARP the rest will go up in premium faster and some way faster after 2020 as many already favor G from F in pricing by a bit

Some I think won't be as fast but are already the higher rates AARP outside of FL maybe some of the BC as well

if it were my own Mother I wouldn't want her on plan F for this reason among others
I tell people that I expect Plan F rates to go up at a faster pace than the other plans after 2020, because it'll be a closed book of business and there won't be any "new blood". When only sick people are left, the premiums will go up faster. :yes:

They all want Plan G now anyway. Nobody wants to pay $300-$500 a year for a $185 benefit. :no:

I remember seeing they stopped the internal switching no underwriting, I don't know maybe state specific but I did get an email about that from either UHC or FMO several months ago

Only in some states. I checked and moved someone in January.

They stopped plan transfers in Virginia last October. Their underwriting has tightened as well. I had several that answered no to every question that would have sailed right through previously. They were accepted but at level 2. I believe they are looking farther back than before or at least farther than the questions ask.

Back