5 Ways 2020 Medigap Changes Are Driving States Wild

The person/people that wrote this article have a significant deficiency of knowledge about Medigap plans and the Medigap market. For that matter, the people that wrote MACRA do as well!

“ Some agents are telling their policyholders that premiums for coverage under Plans C or F will be increasing to such an extent that they should purchase other coverage,” officials write. “These are misleading statements to induce policyholders to improperly switch coverage using marketing and sales techniques that are in clear violation of the Medicare supplement insurance laws and a states’ unfair trade practices laws. If a state finds such activity, the state can take appropriate administrative action.”

And how are these misleading statements when it is common sense what will happen with these plans, especially if you offer it as an opinion? Isn't that why we are agents, to guide them?

Because it's not always true.When J was discontinued in 2010 I loss a couple of clients to unscrupulous agent ( bankers agents) who used scare tactics to replace J plan with a higher cost F plan.My clients still on the J have had the same rate increase as clients with F which with UHC in Florida has been minimal.

I want to see how they will prosecute someone that saves a client $600 a year moving them from a F to a G. Even if F doesn't increase as logic would predict, the beneficiary is still significantly better off immediately.

That's just it. No one would be prosecuted (or fined) for this. Too small to chase.

Somarco said:

Don't know if D will be GI or not.

It will be. MOO sent out the attached, "An Agent's Guide to MACRA" yesterday. Originally I thought this was going to be a "go-to" plan, like N, once G starts taking the GI hit, too.

Additionally, MACRA makes Plans D and G the guaranteed issue plans for newly-eligible Medicare beneficiaries (as of January 1, 2020) for the specified period under current law that name Plans C or F for current beneficiaries.

Attachments

• 453196-MACRA-Producer-Use-Only-Flier.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks!

Can't say I have ever written plan C but then, I only write GI biz if there is a good reason to work for $0.

So many other things in life that are free and fun.

Back