6 Ideas for Mining Files to Drum Up Business

A nice piece by Anthony O'Kussick. Agents seem to only be interested in hunting for new work, but the really smart agents know how to mine/farm their existing list of customers and find additional sales opportunities there. It's always easier to sell to those who have already bought from you than to sell to someone new.

Intro, Story, Presentation, Close, REHASH .... some agents forget to rehash in their sales process. The clients that I have a close relationship with KNOW that I'm going to touch base once or twice a month with an additional product to offer them. It may not even be insurance related, but these are my clients....work your book of business. If nothing else, every client will know that you value their business because you're speaking with them once or twice a month.

Intro, Story, Presentation, Close, REHASH .... some agents forget to rehash in their sales process. The clients that I have a close relationship with KNOW that I'm going to touch base once or twice a month with an additional product to offer them. It may not even be insurance related, but these are my clients....work your book of business. If nothing else, every client will know that you value their business because you're speaking with them once or twice a month.

Once or twice a month?!?:swoon:

Once or twice a month?!?:swoon:

Am I missing something? I don't reach out to my clients more than once or twice per month....I find that if I speak to them once per week, they seem to get annoyed. I've tried it....and there are clients that will call ME, so I speak with them more than once or twice..but as far as my marketing is concerned, I'm not going to reach out more than that. How many times do you call your clients on a monthly basis?

Anthony O’Kussick, CLU, shares some interesting ideas for drumming up business from your existing book, insurance company records and your MGA in a just-posted article (link below). Please take a look, and feel free to comment on the ideas or add your own here.

Insurance Forums | Your best leads are staring you in the face: 6 ideas for mining files

I have to personally thank Lee Martinez (WinoBlues) and Louis Rouse (Rousemark), the Insurance Forum's coronated "Old Timer" life insurance agents, that routinely and regularly reminded an encouraged me for years to work my existing book of business (final expense business) to find new business.

And even though I don't do it nearly enough, I find that when I do, both are right on the money; old policy holders - yes, even final expense policy holders - will meet with me 75% of the time when I ask, and close in similar numbers on new business or upgraded business.

Once I have an agent trained and working with me after a year, I will routinely remind them of working their book to supplement temporary poor lead flow.

Am I missing something? I don't reach out to my clients more than once or twice per month....I find that if I speak to them once per week, they seem to get annoyed. I've tried it....and there are clients that will call ME, so I speak with them more than once or twice..but as far as my marketing is concerned, I'm not going to reach out more than that. How many times do you call your clients on a monthly basis?

I have quite a few clients. Most do not want to hear from me more than a short note, email or call once a year if that. Also not sure how I could touch my whole book of business once or twice a month. The time alone would be daunting.

What do you talk to them about if you just talked to them a few weeks ago?

BTW, I am in Life Insurance

----------

I have to personally thank Lee Martinez (WinoBlues) and Louis Rouse (Rousemark), the Insurance Forum's coronated "Old Timer" life insurance agents, that routinely and regularly reminded an encouraged me for years to work my existing book of business (final expense business) to find new business.

And even though I don't do it nearly enough, I find that when I do, both are right on the money; old policy holders - yes, even final expense policy holders - will meet with me 75% of the time when I ask, and close in similar numbers on new business or upgraded business.

Once I have an agent trained and working with me after a year, I will routinely remind them of working their book to supplement temporary poor lead flow.

I hope you do not have too many agents in CA. I rely on orphaned policy holders to feed my family. :)

I have quite a few clients. Most do not want to hear from me more than a short note, email or call once a year if that. Also not sure how I could touch my whole book of business once or twice a month. The time alone would be daunting.

--

Auto, Home, and Life..but I'm calling any clients that have a single item with us to try and add another item. Naturally, the pitch is geared towards the money that they would save. I'm not going to call someone who already has combined their auto and home...I'm not going to call someone that has a Life policy with me and has repeatedly said that they don't want to switch auto carriers. I guess I shouldn't have stated that i call ALL of my clients once or twice a month, because that's not at all the truth. But if there's money to be made in our book, we're trying to make it happen.

--

Auto, Home, and Life..but I'm calling any clients that have a single item with us to try and add another item. Naturally, the pitch is geared towards the money that they would save. I'm not going to call someone who already has combined their auto and home...I'm not going to call someone that has a Life policy with me and has repeatedly said that they don't want to switch auto carriers. I guess I shouldn't have stated that i call ALL of my clients once or twice a month, because that's not at all the truth. But if there's money to be made in our book, we're trying to make it happen.

That explains it. I believe P&C is more transactional. My calls are more "touching base" and doing a lite phone update and seeing if we should set a F2F meeting.

Latest posts

Back