60 days . . .

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have written very little business with Aetna in the past. Not much reason to.

At first the policies were garbage. Almost no Rx cover (actually a $5k cap). Rates were very high (except smokers and large families).

Their underwriting (diabetics, bipolar, etc.) made them my junkyard dog.

In July they revised plans and rates . . . especially on the HDHP. They are kicking butt as a result.

I used to submit 1 app every 3 months. Now it is 2 - 3 a week.

One of my clients is a hired gun for the DOI in several states. He audits carriers all over the country.

He contacted me a few months ago about a policy for his son. I showed him the HDHP 3000 and the price was right . . . even after the surprise hit for tobacco. (Aetna doesn't like to tell us about these changes in advance).

The policy was approved for an August 1 effective date. His checking account was hit in late July (when the policy was approved) for the August premium and again in late August for the Sept premium.

Two weeks ago he called. Wanted to know where his son's policy was.

I sent an email to AIMbrokersupport.

No response.

A week later he called again.

This time I escalated it to the regional manager. Later that day I got a note that the enrollment package would be expedited and sent out that day.

That was 9/10.

Today he called and said the ID card arrived but no policy.

I contacted Aetna again.

Their "standard" is to issue the policy 60 days after coverage is approved.

I blew a gasket.

No one takes 60 days.

I know some of you have been writing Aetna longer, and with more frequency than I have. How do you deal with this 60 day bullsheet?

...60 after the effective date is when all Aetna policies are mailed until you send a faxed request to mail it upon the effective date. Then they'll send it immediately.

...60 after the effective date is when all Aetna policies are mailed until you send a faxed request to mail it upon the effective date. Then they'll send it immediately.

These kinds of non-smooth, bureaucratically driven processes will kill them in the long run. Hopefully sooner than later.

They have competitiors, and they really don't offer much that somebody else doesn't.

At the end of the day, there's only one protest that's effective: don't send 'em any apps.

I faxed them a letter and also mailed a letter to the MD DOI about this practice - citing that I feel if violates the 10 day free look period. Basically, the policy becomes active but clients do not have their chance to review it.

No work from from Aetna or the DOI - go figure.

...60 after the effective date is when all Aetna policies are mailed

How does this work with the usual 10-day free-look period that almost all states have? Does the ten days start 60+ days after the effective date with Aetna?

Al

The free look starts when you receive the policy - which is what an Aetna rep told me via phone justifying how they don't violate the free look by mailing them out 60 days after the effective date.

I did at least confirm that with my DOI rep - free look starts upon delivery of the policy.

That said, I still think it's a violation to use a policy for 60 days without the chance to review it.

I showed him the HDHP 3000 and the price was right . . . even after the surprise hit for tobacco. (Aetna doesn't like to tell us about these changes in advance).

I know some of you have been writing Aetna longer, and with more frequency than I have. How do you deal with this 60 day bullsheet?

Once again, the sweetness of a "good" price evaporates into the "bitterness" of bad service...

I did at least confirm that with my DOI rep - free look starts upon delivery of the policy.

That said, I still think it's a violation to use a policy for 60 days without the chance to review it.

My guess is that if you use the policy between day 1 and day 60, and you get the paperwork and read it and decide you don't like it, any claims that were paid would be rescinded and you would have to reimburse Aetna. Of course with deducts being what they are these days, it's a good bet there won't be many. And anyone who has a car wreck and has some huge bills in the first 60 days is NOT going to return the policy for any reason!

Al

Back