60 Year Old Prospects Asked About Health Insurance. How to Handle.

Discussion in 'Health Insurance and Ancillary Benefits' started by entrep1776, Aug 25, 2017.

1. FLM2

FLM2 Guru

My advice is to actually learn something before giving out advice although I can't believe a stranger would ask someone studying for their license about something as important as health insurance either.

2. entrep1776

entrep1776 Guru

I thought I was learning something?

Yep people do discuss health insurance with someone sitting next to them on the plane.

3. kpbdy99

kpbdy99 Expert

State:
    Maine
    But wait, I thought Obamacare made all health insurance better and cheaper? :D

4. FRJ

FRJ Super Genius

State:
    Illinois
    Where in IL does this couple live? Pull up some current quotes and compare to their Cobra rate, just to be sure! Get quotes straight off healthcare.gov - there aren't any solid options outside that (in most IL places).

I work primarily in the Chicago area market, kind of lousy for health insurance.

5. entrep1776

entrep1776 Guru

Thanks. He & his wife already have a cleaning business so that might work out nicely.

6. TriciaS

TriciaS Expert

State:
    New Jersey
    Ask them how he had decided to retire next year, but they haven't looked into the cost of health insurance that could cost them 18%-25% of their pre-tax, pre-retirement income easily. I've seen too many people retire early to be forced to take a low paying job just for benefits until they are 65.

7. yorkriver1

yorkriver1 Guru

Careful there, often the group carriers will require a husband and wife to have W-2 employees, at least one, working 30 hours or more a week. They will require tax payment records to prove this.

The cost of carrying an employee may or may not be worth it. They should talk to an agent familiar with small group, who knows the rules.