63 Days - Why?

Josh - it is online I pulled it once, pretty sure. It would be part of the insurance code, I am sure TDI could give you the specific section if you call and ask.

In TX creditable coverage is both group, individual, and short term for about a year and a half. The group and individual is clear as day, the short term is gray because carriers do not give out certificates of coverage on short term and this is highly unusual. I had to fight this one through legal for about 3 months before they applied credit for my client.

And as usual carrier employees are hardly trained on any of this material.

Thanks! I actually had some questions pertaining to the short-term portion of the code.

The Number Sixty-three is:
  • Elizabeth Kingsley created the first double-crostic puzzle at age 63
The number 63 is a very special number.

The Number Sixty-three is:
  • Elizabeth Kingsley created the first double-crostic puzzle at age 63
The number 63 is a very special number.

WOW! THANKS FOR THAT CLARIFICATION ABOUT THE NUMBER 63.:swoon:

My guess on this, and it's only a guess, is that they wanted 2 months. Now, if you say 2 months, and have a policy lapse on July 25, someone would be smart and say July and August are your 2 months, Sept 1 is the start of the third month. So they specified days.

Now, if those two months happen to be July and August (or December and January), you have 2 31 day months back to back, plus 1 day for paperwork, making it 63 days.

This is the best answer I can make up.

Dan

You want a little more mud to mix? To keep your HIPPA protection, you have to have the new policy "IN FORCE" on the 63rd day. So you really only have 62 days to get covered!

You want a little more mud to mix? To keep your HIPPA protection, you have to have the new policy "IN FORCE" on the 63rd day. So you really only have 62 days to get covered!

Which could be potentially impossible as some carriers lock in effective dates and some do not, some assign after approval.

Too bad George Carlin is dead he could make a good routine out of this one.

Which could be potentially impossible as some carriers lock in effective dates and some do not, some assign after approval.

Too bad George Carlin is dead he could make a good routine out of this one.

Exactly. That's why I tell clients not to wait 'till the last minute.

In Texas this is where it gets interesting. Client waited to long - we put her on a 2 month short term, which extended her "creditable coverage" since the new law clearly stated ..."including short term" according to the provision.

One could in theory extend this indefinitely.

The short term carrier would not issue a COCC which is what the long term carrier required to waive pre ex. It actually went to the carriers legal department and pre ex was waived.

Back