$7,000.00, a Dream, and a Whole Buncha Entreprenurial Spirit

FirstTimeBizOwner

Hey everyone. I hope this thread will be appropriate for the forum and generate at least some interest. The tone of my entries will be somewhat "bloggy," but I hope to document my success's, my failures, and create a record of my new adventure that I can look back on and say - I did it. Maybe, just maybe, I'll create inspiration for someone else to do the same.

For some background I'm 24 years old and have been selling insurance for a little over five years. Mostly I've focused on Major Medical with a little life insurance, and medicare supplements peppered in the mix. My employer was great when I started. They were willing to take a green 19 year old kid, get me trained, licensed and give me an office, support, and a living wage. Eventually, building a book for someone else becomes unsatisfying and an awesome deal for them, but not so great for the captive agent.

Beginning February 1st, 2012 I'll be venturing out on my own to build my first business. I have $7,000 to my name, low personal expenses, a home office, and a raw determination to make it. Although I have little experience in the Med Supp market, it's where I will be focusing my energy.

Over the next couple months I hope to talk about my progress in readying myself for the transition. I want to speak on everything from my self education, prospecting plans, my business plan, home office logistics and eventually my successes and failures as everything gets off the ground. I welcome advice, commentary, and anything that anyone wishes to add to this work in progress. Heck, feel free to chime in with your own stories about how you got started, I'd love the to hear the inspiration. Good luck to everyone going into 2012, it's going to be a great year!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I hope this thread will be appropriate for the forum and generate at least some interest. The tone of my entries be somewhat "bloggy," but I hope to document my success's, my failures, and create a record of my new adventure that I can look back on and say - I did it. Maybe, just maybe I'll create inspiration for someone else to do the same.

For some background I'm 24 years old and have been selling insurance for a little over five years. Mostly I've focused on Major Medical with a little life insurance, and medicare supplements peppered in the mix. My employer was great when I started. They were willing to take a green 19 year old kid, get me trained, licensed and give me an office, support, and a living wage. Eventually, building a book for someone else becomes unsatisfying and an awesome deal for them, but not so great for the captive agent.

Beginning February 1st, 2012 I'll be venturing out on my own to build my first business. I have $7,000 to my name, low personal expenses, a home office, and a raw determination to make it. Although I have little experience in the Med Supp market, it's where I will be focusing my energy.

Over the next couple months I hope to talk about my progress in readying myself for the transition. I want to speak on everything from my self education, prospecting plans, my business plan, home office logistics and eventually my successes and failures as everything gets off the ground. I welcome advice, commentary, and anything that anyone wishes to add to this work in progress. Heck, feel free to chime in with your own stories about how you got started, I'd love the to hear the inspiration. Good luck to everyone going into 2012, it's going to be a great year!

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I hope 2012 is everything you want it to be and with hard work I am sure it will be.

Boy that is refreshing. A young guy who is going out on his own AFTER learning the basics and ISN'T trying to figure an angle to steal all his former employer's clients, isn't bitter AND isn't "building a team."

I believe you will succeed. Good luck with it!

Boy that is refreshing. A young guy who is going out on his own AFTER learning the basics and ISN'T trying to figure an angle to steal all his former employer's clients, isn't bitter AND isn't "building a team."

I too believe you will succeed!

You sound determined and you are articulate, so I'm sure you will do great. Read everything you can on these forums, there is a wealth of information.

well said!

I second that notion.

I think you will fail miserably. The odds are stacked against you. Are you nuts? Find another career and fast. It's not too late. Insurance is a tough business and you'll be eaten alive. That $7,000? Say good-by baby to that!

Ok. I don't really feel that way. I'm just preparing you for the occasional acquaintance that will tell you that.

If you plan on focusing on med supps and you don't have much money, why do you feel you need to pay for an office.
I doubt most med supp clients will come to you.

Unless the office is super cheap or something else I don't knoe
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Should be *know. Mobile app, can't edit

Last edited:
Back