7+ Year Career Agent Leaving MassMutual/ MML

Maggie113

7+ Year Agent Leaving

Was told I should've been careful I suppose that's a good idea
Thanks!

Last edited:
What's the worst that can happen? They require me to leave my files on the way out to my new B/D and have their Jrs call my clients. I'm assuming (since they told me when hired) I get to take all my clients when I leave and as long as I have my ducks in a row it's no problem to transfer all my CRIA business to the new B/D - assuming they have a contract with the fund company.

MML it appears has not signed the broker protocol
The clients are 100% on me
Can they stick me with some random charge?

Appreciate any insite or any things to watch out for as I make the move.

Thanks!

Mass doesn't work like a wirehouse. They barely call on their own orphan policyholders, unless they call in first.

The only products you may have trouble moving over would be proprietary variable life and variable annuity products. However, I would think most B/D's would allow it as Mass is often an approved product line to sell. There was an old CRIA product that's no longer available that rebalanced gains into an immediate annuity income stream - that would be hard to move, if you sold it or have any on the books.

I remember signing agreements for two things:
1) I wouldn't replace MassMutual life insurance for at least two years after contracts were issued.
2) I wouldn't recruit MassMutual agents for at least two years after leaving.

I don't recall any other non-solicitation agreements, so I don't foresee any problems with being allowed to contact your clients about your move and moving their accounts or changing BOR from MMLISI to you at your new firm.

Definitely download or scan everything you have. The B/D especially requires paper trail on all transactions done during your time at MMLISI. That's expected for compliance and record-keeping purposes.

Mass doesn't work like a wirehouse. They barely call on their own orphan policyholders, unless they call in first.

The only products you may have trouble moving over would be proprietary variable life and variable annuity products. However, I would think most B/D's would allow it as Mass is often an approved product line to sell. There was an old CRIA product that's no longer available that rebalanced gains into an immediate annuity income stream - that would be hard to move, if you sold it or have any on the books.

I remember signing agreements for two things:
1) I wouldn't replace MassMutual life insurance for at least two years after contracts were issued.
2) I wouldn't recruit MassMutual agents for at least two years after leaving.

I don't recall any other non-solicitation agreements, so I don't foresee any problems with being allowed to contact your clients about your move and moving their accounts or changing BOR from MMLISI to you at your new firm.

Definitely download or scan everything you have. The B/D especially requires paper trail on all transactions done during your time at MMLISI. That's expected for compliance and record-keeping purposes.

So basically you Quintuple what the guys above you said :laugh:

Mass doesn't necessarily like independent thinkers or people who want to stray from their mantras. Frankly, I don't see why they even HAVE a B/D - aside from the fact that their agents were becoming brokers with other firms, so why not set up their own and maintain more control over their agents?

I wonder how those who came in from Metlife are able to adapt to life at Mass? I think because they have a different B/D still, that it must help a bit.

As far as your current cases, just keep them going under your current compensation. BTW, do yourself a favor and verify that brokers would earn more.

Btw, WHAT "investment" in you? Managers are paid primarily on recruiting and get a sliding scale of overrides on your production for a number of years. I think only the GA really capitalizes on your long-term production, and that would primarily be on your LIFE production, and not as much on your securities based on their payout rates.

The mantra is: "Hire 'em in masses, teach 'em in classes, sell all their family and friends, then fire their ***es."

They've made their money and now by you leaving, you open up some office space or cubicle to be filled by a new recruit to churn them for their contacts.

Awesome! Ha ha ha!
I just don't see that as the future of this business. Maybe it will be a slow transition from that model or maybe that's what someone like me said in 1862.

Back