800,000 HealthCare.gov Customers the Wrong Tax Information

Just going to post this, I guess the special enrollment came through, although Wednesday I was told it would be announced next week.

I wonder if the government will pay the cost for the +50,000 people that need to refile their taxes.

In addition to the 800,000 incorrect forms sent out by the Federal Exchange, state-based exchanges are coming forward with similar revelations. Covered California says it sent out approximately 100,000 incorrect 1095-A forms.

Ref: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...incorrect-forms-that-could-delay-tax-filings/

Last edited:
They don't mention it in the stories, but these forms have a lot of personal info on them.

Full name of all insureds, DOB's, policy number, carrier, plan cost, subsidy amount, last four of ssn, all pre-filled and sent to some random stranger.

So, it's the SLCSP info that is wrong on the tax form. There is no way for your client to know if they have correct premium numbers on 1095A. In fact, how can agents even come up with the info? Run quotes a year younger based on 2014 plans/rates at Value Penguin (who still has 2014 capability). Even then, you may not be playing with a full deck of plans.

My email to clients: Delay submitting your taxes until April and wait for POSSIBLE forms that may come in the mail.

Wrong Health Tax Credit Statements Sent to 800,000 - WSJ

Federal health officials have attributed the problem to a coding error that caused some forms generated in January to include local premium data for 2015, not 2014. They said it was intermittent, and not concentrated in one part of the country.

----------

-------------------------------
Maybe the gov't will do the work for us for once.

Feds grant another ACA deadline extension

About 800,000 consumers who have health insurance will also be contacted starting today because a tax form sent by CMS contained a mistake in the benchmark plan used to calculate how much tax they owe, CMS said.

----------

------------------------

Ok, answered my own question, here is a tool on HC.gov to find SLCSP premium in 2014:

https://www.healthcare.gov/taxes/tools/silver/

-----------------------------------------------------
http://blog.cms.gov/2015/02/20/what-consumers-need-to-know-about-corrected-form-1095-as/

---------------------------

CMS noted that taxpayers whose forms were affected will receive a phone call about the problem from the Marketplace by early March, in addition to letters and emails with additional information about the status of their forms.

Taxpayers who are concerned about the status of their 1095-A forms can find out if they are affected by logging in to their account at HealthCare.gov. They will see a notice message that will let them know if their form was or was not affected. Approximately 80 percent of tax filers with Marketplace coverage through HealthCare.gov who received a 1095-A will find that their form was not affected by the issue, according to CMS, and will be able to file their taxes with their current form.

If their form was affected, CMS advised them to wait to file their tax return until they receive a corrected 1095-A Form from the Marketplaces. New forms will be sent from the Marketplace beginning in early March and taxpayers will also receive a message in their Marketplace account on HealthCare.gov.

If taxpayers need to file their taxes before them, CMS is making available a tool to help them determine the correct amount of the second lowest cost Silver plan that applied to their household in 2014. They can also call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) for assistance.

800,000 Taxpayers Received Wrong Tax Info from Health Insurance Marketplace

Last edited:
This is such a joke.

Base the subsidies on already filed taxes from a prior, then no clawback, no need to report anything, no opportunity for the government to make another mistake.

We have an administration that is turning us into a 3rd world country, absolutely pathetic.

Here's my issue....I have only a handful of 2014 subsidy clients and every single one of them had done their taxes by the first week in Feb.

And they were all enrolled on 2015 plans prior to 12/15.

Here's my issue....I have only a handful of 2014 subsidy clients and every single one of them had done their taxes by the first week in Feb.

And they were all enrolled on 2015 plans prior to 12/15.

KGMom, CMS says that 1095-A recipients who don't want to wait for the Marketplace to call them, can call their respective marketplace to find out if their 1095-A is correct, or not.

Also, from the horse's mouth: https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/is-your-form-1095a-correct/

Calls from hc.gov are bieng made now....pre-recorded message saying your form contained errors please wait for the corrected form before you file 2014 taxes.

They're trying.....

Back