859,095 Numbers in the 512 Area Code Are...

2112Greg

Guru
100+ Post Club
...on the DNC list.

Awesome. And the list of realtors that I call hasn't been scrubbed. Only had two people say they were on it, though.

Anyone know of anyone who got sued by someone they shouldn't have called?

What are the real risks here...just irritating someone (but I'm always nice on the phone) or risking getting taken to court? I know calling unscrubbed lists is not the greatest idea in the history of ideas, but only two out of hundred upon hundreds have even mentioned it!

Argh...

...on the DNC list.
Awesome. And the list of realtors that I call hasn't been scrubbed. Only had two people say they were on it, though.
Anyone know of anyone who got sued by someone they shouldn't have called?
What are the real risks here...just irritating someone (but I'm always nice on the phone) or risking getting taken to court? I know calling unscrubbed lists is not the greatest idea in the history of ideas, but only two out of hundred upon hundreds have even mentioned it!
Argh...

They don't sue you, they just turn you in to the Atty.General (Greg Abbot) and he will sue you.
Five years ago, ONE complaint, $1500 fine plus $1,000 court costs. BTW I was using a dialer at that time.:mad:

It goes to your business ethics - you're going to follow the laws or you're not. If you choose not to follow the law I'd question your ethics in other areas.

This is why I go business to business or knock on doors in the 512, or get mailer leads or buy leads. Or network. I pretty much avoid calling people and making appointments if I can. { I pretty much avoid working in the insurance business most of the time, also lol}

It goes to your business ethics - you're going to follow the laws or you're not. If you choose not to follow the law I'd question your ethics in other areas.
What if it's a law you don't agree with, like bestiality?

I did try the "I was only helping the sheep over the fence card" but it didn't work.

Rick

How many numers total in the 512 area code? BTW, where is the 512 area code located?

512 is in the Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown/San Marcos areas of central Texas. I don't know how many 512 numbers there are total. But I need to clarify, the list that I call from, while it isn't scrubbed, they ARE businesses. I think the two people that mentioned something to me thought that it included businesses - the one today sounded like she was from beyond the grave. Seriously...

If you want to call my ethics into question because of that, please, be my guest. But it's a non-argument. In no case am I calling anyone's home...they are offices and/or the cell phones they use. AFAIK, cell phones are exempt from the DNC regulation. Could be wrong about that, but I don't think so...

I guess I got spooked by this woman today. I've got some more 'traditional' business lists that I may use for a while until I mentally get over this...but I don't see a problem with what I'm doing after thinking the whole thing through. It's still a pain in the ass though...

If its a listed business number, I should be fine. Many people don't realize that business numbers are fair game and still list them on the DNC list. I get business owners once in a while who tell me they are on the DNC list. If that's the case, I don't argue with them, I just tell them I'll take them off my list. If I were going to calls homes (no thank you), I would be very careful.

Business numbers are expempt. Sometimes business owners claim they are on the DNC and I politely tell them that I have this listed as a BUSINESS number and that the DNC does not apply to businesses, but I am happy to take them off MY list.

That normally shuts them up!

Joshril has an excellent reply. As to cell phone numbers, I understand they are under the same rule as fax #... IOW, verboten. The rule basically is, if there is a cost to the prospect such as fax or cell phone charge, you can't call them at their expense. Not hard to understand why.

Back