~~

jjiang002

I am thinking about emergency driving. However, technically, it is illegal. So, I am here to ask.

Q: What will happen if I drive my car after I already put my car into the garage? (A suspension auto policy.)

Q: What will happen if my car insurance company find out I might drive my car during the suspension period(I need to report my odometer annually.)? Will my current policy be canceled? Or worse, will I be charged?

Thanks, guys.

What will happen if I drive my car after I already put my car into the garage?

Assuming your garage door is open, probably nothing, if you are driving out through the opening. :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Here's what will happen.

You've told your insurance company that you won't drive your car during the suspension period. You get a substantial discount. You drive your car during the suspension period. Whatever coverages are suspended, ARE NOT THERE if you get into an accident.

You wreck your car - No coverage.

You injure somebody - No coverage.

You get cited for not having insurance to cover the accident. Your registration and driver license could get suspended indefinitely.

Your insurance company finds out you failed to comply with the suspension requirement and, yes, your policy will probably be cancelled, non-renewed, or rescinded, thus putting you into a high risk category next time you buy insurance. Figure two or three time what you would normally pay.

If you have a medical emergency, call 911. Any other type of emergency where you have to get somewhere, call a taxi if you can't get a friend to drive you.

I can't tell you how many times I have read about people taking the car out "just this once" and ending up with a bad accident for which there was no insurance.

Don't do it.

Assuming your garage door is open, probably nothing, if you are driving out through the opening. :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Here's what will happen.

You've told your insurance company that you won't drive your car during the suspension period. You get a substantial discount. You drive your car during the suspension period. Whatever coverages are suspended, ARE NOT THERE if you get into an accident.

You wreck your car - No coverage.

You injure somebody - No coverage.

You get cited for not having insurance to cover the accident. Your registration and driver license could get suspended indefinitely.

Your insurance company finds out you failed to comply with the suspension requirement and, yes, your policy will probably be cancelled, non-renewed, or rescinded, thus putting you into a high risk category next time you buy insurance. Figure two or three time what you would normally pay.

If you have a medical emergency, call 911. Any other type of emergency where you have to get somewhere, call a taxi if you can't get a friend to drive you.

I can't tell you how many times I have read about people taking the car out "just this once" and ending up with a bad accident for which there was no insurance.

Don't do it.
Thank you very much for your patient reply. I just realized the serious consequences I have put myself in... :cry: And I swear I will never do it again.:frown:

Here is the situation, I have been driven my car causally last year during the suspension period. Luckily, I haven't countered any accidents since then, but there do have mileages difference if they look into my odometer, it is about 8000kms.
For the increased mileage, I have restored my policy this month, and I planning on spending one month driving to cover the mileage difference, is that feasible?

If that is not working, can I directly switch to another car insurance company before my own car insurance company find it out?

I promise I will never do it again, please someone help me out :cry:

Last edited:
I planning on spending one month driving to cover the mileage difference, is that feasible?

You've got that backwards. If you've added 8000 kms during the suspension, you shouldn't drive at all between now and the next renewal so that the 8000 kms can be applied to the months going forward that you have full coverage.

If that is not working, can I directly switch to another car insurance company before my own car insurance company find it out?

Sure, you can do that. Probably not necessary.

I have been driven my car causally last year during the suspension period.

There's nothing casual about 8000 kms. :fibs:

You've got that backwards. If you've added 8000 kms during the suspension, you shouldn't drive at all between now and the next renewal so that the 8000 kms can be applied to the months going forward that you have full coverage.
Thanks for your confirmation, I will give that a try. Meanwhile, I will prepare to deal with the worst situation - policy will be canceled, and then I have to sell my car immediately. :frown: It is all my bad, I shouldn't drive at all... I just can't afford those bills... (I have been fired and can't find a new job for almost two years.) :cry: Really didn't think it through.:arghh:

Sure, you can do that. Probably not necessary.
Why not necessary? Will my new car insurance company double check my odometer too?

There's nothing casual about 8000 kms. :fibs:
Technically, the suspension period is about one year and ten months.

I am thinking about emergency driving. However, technically, it is illegal. So, I am here to ask.

Q: What will happen if I drive my car after I already put my car into the garage? (A suspension auto policy.)

Q: What will happen if my car insurance company find out I might drive my car during the suspension period(I need to report my odometer annually.)? Will my current policy be canceled? Or worse, will I be charged?

Thanks, guys.

Easy fix. If you drive year round pay for 12 months of insurance.

Back