Michael Higdon

Hi,

My name is Michael and I live in Clarksville TN.
I’m happy to be a part of this community and hope to learn a lot.

I have a BSBA degree, but worked in full time vocational ministry as a worship leader/musician for well over 20 years. That is my area of strength and I was great at what I did. I was hired by a church in TX with over 18,000 people in attendance. Sadly, I hated it and it damaged my marriage. At the time, I had a wonderful wife and 2 kids under the age of 4, that I rarely got to spend time with. There are more factors involved, but my wife eventually divorced me and that has put a huge damper on my ministry prospects. (TMI I am sure, lol sorry).

So, at age 47, I am about to dive back into the Insurance field. It’s the only other work experience I have. If you pray, pray for me. I can sell, but I’m a creative, so certain things come easy for me, but other things do not. I know my weaknesses well, and I have to buck up and getter done. I know how to read and relate to people, so that is a plus.

My father has been with Colonial Life for over 60 years! He is 83 and still works a few days a month. I worked off and on with Colonial Life over a 4 year span. All total, I have about a year of experience w/Colonial. I did not enjoy working B2B group insurance, but even as a guy in his early 20s still in college, the money was good. I also worked one year at TN Farm Bureau in Paris, TN. I loved that job but left for the ministry.

I am taking my Life and A&H exams this Friday 8/17/18, and I will be working for a brokerage firm owned by the most successful recruit my dad ever had. She was working doing clerical work at a factory before going to work for my dad, and now she has made it big. I have an inside track, and I can’t pass on this opportunity. It has been a real struggle, trying to decide what my new career will be, but it’s go time. She has been generous enough to put me on a draw, but she’s tough and I’ve got to deliver. I’m nervous but grateful for the opportunity.

Any encouragement/success stories would be appreciated, especially from those who made a career change to insurance sales later in life.

This is probably to longest introduction this forum has ever seen. If you read it all then thank you!

You want me to pray for you AND encourage you? That sounds like a lot.

Since you are asking, I will give you some input. I had a very close friend named Kevin. Sadly he died of a heart attack. Kevin was one of the most generous, kind, giving people I ever met. Big church guy. Gave to the church, helped people, gave and gave. He even put on fundraisers on the weekend to raise more for the church. But he never talked about his involvement with the church, or his religion. Never. Only if you asked. Now that I think about it I have another friend Harry. Always bringing us food, giving me insurance advice, kind friendly, the guy is a minister, but he never talks about it unless you ask.

Now, I have only been screwed, I mean really screwed, in business twice. Each of these two people made sure to tell me any everyone else right off the bat how involved they were with the church. Church this, church that. God this, god that. Then it turns out they were screwing everyone.

If you were to ask my advice, I say keep your personal stuff personal, especially as it pertains to your religion. As soon as I hear someone offering unsolicited advertisement of their involvement with the church, my guard goes up. Big time. Later I usually find they are screwing everyone over.

Since you are asking, I will give you some input. I had a very close friend named Kevin. Sadly he died of a heart attack. Kevin was one of the most generous, kind, giving people I ever met. Big church guy. Gave to the church, helped people, gave and gave. He even put on fundraisers on the weekend to raise more for the church. But he never talked about his involvement with the church, or his religion. Never. Only if you asked. Now that I think about it I have another friend Harry. Always bringing us food, giving me insurance advice, kind friendly, the guy is a minister, but he never talks about it unless you ask.
Sounds as if they were following what the Bible teaches:...... Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,(1st Peter 3:15)

Christians are never told to bludgeon others with their faith.

The forum is a mixed bag... be careful who you relate personal things too... you need a (spiritual) mentor who can express things too and who will give you good biblical advice on how to proceed in life... always remember, He knows... He sees... He cares...

On the Insurance thing... this is a good place to land and glean ideas from... I always suggest people bring their shovels cause you need to do some scooping... sometimes to dig deeper and sometimes to clear off the manure...

Read through some of the old threads... look for what you think might fit your personality and skill set... then take action!

Never be ashamed to live out your Faith in what you do... :1biggrin: just make sure your talk matches your walk...:yes:

Since everyone is offering advice, here's mine, plain and simple. Keep your private life out of your business....and yes, religion is part of your private life. Insurance and religion are two separate things and should remain that way. If you need religion to sell, you're in the wrong business. If you need insurance to promote your beliefs in/of religion, then you're in the wrong religion!

Here's one more way of looking at it, whether you like how I say it or not; Insurance, while an intangible product, is a proven thing. Religion is also a bit intangible, but cannot be proven to others. Think about that.....please!

Since everyone is offering advice, here's mine, plain and simple. Keep your private life out of your business....and yes, religion is part of your private life. Insurance and religion are two separate things and should remain that way. If you need religion to sell, you're in the wrong business. If you need insurance to promote your beliefs in/of religion, then you're in the wrong religion!

Here's one more way of looking at it, whether you like how I say it or not; Insurance, while an intangible product, is a proven thing. Religion is also a bit intangible, but cannot be proven to others. Think about that.....please!
Sorry, Todd but I don't think you can or should keep your religion private... It is not something you participate in under the cloak of darkness.. However, you should not have to go around beating your chest about it, you should live a quite life that makes it evident what you believe.... That is the hard part.

Last edited:
Keep your private life out of your business...

Hmm... always wondered how that worked... The guy I shave in the mirror at home each morning is that same guy (less some facial hair) that Mildred is talking to on the couch about life insurance...

Am I just supposed to leave him at home? :err: ...he's the one with the drivers licenses... how do I get to Mildred's?

Seriously... you take you where ever you go... and your client gets the guy who has a private life, for better or worse. :yes:

Hmm... always wondered how that worked... The guy I shave in the mirror at home each morning is that same guy (less some facial hair) that Mildred is talking to on the couch about life insurance...

Am I just supposed to leave him at home? :err: ...he's the one with the drivers licenses... how do I get to Mildred's?

Seriously... you take you where ever you go... and your client gets the guy who has a private life, for better or worse. :yes:

Are you trying to split hairs for a reason here or just to debate?

Listen, you don't have to puke your religion all over someone to make a sale, be a nice person, do the right thing, or anything similar. So it's best keep at home. When I say "home", I mean keep it to yourself. Most people out there couldn't really care less how you feel about your religion, so why try and dump it on them? Others don't believe the same way you do anyway, so why try to change them? If you do, you'll likely end up losing a sale that you might have normally made.

Even so, I find that most people who talk so openly about their religion beliefs don't really know what they are talking about anyway. Do you realize how many so-called Christians there are out there that have never even read the bible? (I'll bet this is true of many who will read this post too!) So they go through life claiming to be something that they really aren't just because someone else told them they should. God gave us all a mind to use but many don't.

Are you trying to split hairs for a reason here or just to debate?

I said nothing about splitting hairs... I said "shave" :laugh:

I don't disagree with the puking part... that's just gross regardless of what it is...

Living your faith and finding a relationship is much different than mere religion.
(Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis... good read)

I find that most people who talk so openly about their religion beliefs don't really know what they are talking about anyway.

Sort of like politics and insurance... :yes:

Do you realize how many so-called Christians there are out there that have never even read the bible?

More than you know... in many parts of the world just having a copy bible is a death sentence... :sad:

God gave us all a mind to use but many don't.

And we should... but he also gave us a mouth... and he called us to us it as well.

I'm not advocating the use of the flame thrower... just making sure that my little light shines. :)

Back