A Crazy Client

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
I had a client trying to tell other people and me that a client does not have to tell the agent or insurance company that they have hiv or aids and still can buy the insurance. She says that the Hippa Law protects them from having to tell the agent the truth. She says that her friend sued an insurance company after her friend died from aids, because the client lied on the app and the hippa should have prevented the company from finding out.

How stupid can a person be?

Last edited:
Is this a "trick" question?

I've seen way too many episodes of Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, and Oprah to not know the answer to this question.

Oh hey, how about asking the guy in the next cubicle how he's investing in his 401(k) plan at work? Any answer is a good enough answer, right????

Just one more thing we have to deal with - stupid AND proud of it!

Hey Mark, how about changing this to the Craziest Client I ever had and see what everyone comes up with! Just a thought! :twitchy:

Am I missing something this is your "client" or "prospect" ?

I guess my confusion is did you sell this person something or not? If not - tell them to pick a new agent and life goes on.

Don't walk away - run. Red flags all over the place.

I had a client trying to tell other people and me that a client does not have to tell the agent or insurance company that they have hiv or aids and still can buy the insurance. She says that the Hippa Law protects them from having to tell the agent the truth. She says that her friend sued an insurance company after her friend died from aids, because the client lied on the app and the hippa should have prevented the company from finding out.

Click Here <-- Here is the link if someone wants to come on the site and try to explain it to the lady.

Life or Health? I know that with COBRA, someone can exhaust it after 18 months and receive a guaranteed issue policy without providing proof of insurability. But that's health insurance.

Am I missing something this is your "client" or "prospect" ?

I guess my confusion is did you sell this person something or not? If not - tell them to pick a new agent and life goes on.

Don't walk away - run. Red flags all over the place.

Thank GOD!! No it's not my client.

But I've tried to explain it to her, and she thinks I'm making this up. Maybe someone besides myself, needs to tell the crazy lady, that the hippa law does not allow you to buy life insurance and lie about having aid/hiv and the company has no right to find out that you are lying and if they find out, that you can sue them.

Let me show you some of what she said.

"A friend of mine has a 'pre-existing' Medical condition, that is 'covered' under the HIPAA Law. 'His' Insurance company refused to sell him Life Insurance if he did not sign a similar form ('not responsible for...). His Mother was POA. When my friend passed away, his mother sued the Insurance company and won."

"The HIPAA Law......my friend was HIV..AIDS. He din't have to divuldge any of that information to any sort of Insurance."

Last edited:
Mark,

I went over to that link and followed the thread. I agree she has no clue. It's one of those times you just walk away. It would probaly not matter who tries to enlighten her.

It did make me chuckle , especially how people will hold on to trying to be right even when evidence is right in front of them , showing that the position they are holding to...is incorrect.

You gave it a good shot....

Mark read your post on other site and actually all I have to say is "why?" Your form is unnecessary. With the amount of paperwork it takes to do an application in most cases, why add another that rehashes the declarations page? Just go over the app, have the client initial any points of empathsis you want to cover and keep a copy. Most applications cover what you're concerned about already.

You may also be unwittingly complicating your position if anything contradicts the application and your extra page.

As far as the Hippa person, I would just leave it at "I'm sorry, you're incorrect." and move on. Trying to reason with an *** doesn't make them smarter, but does make you dumber.

Last edited:
Mark read your post on other site and actually all I have to say is "why?" Your form is unnecessary. With the amount of paperwork it takes to do an application in most cases, why add another that rehashes the declarations page? Just go over the app, have the client initial any points of empathsis you want to cover and keep a copy. Most applications cover what you're concerned about already.

You may also be unwittingly complicating your position if anything contradicts the application and your extra page.

As far as the Hippa person, I would just leave it at "I'm sorry, you're incorrect." and move on. Trying to reason with an *** doesn't make them smarter, but does make you dumber.

I use it, because I want to make sure that the company knows that I told the client never to lie on the application and warn them what could happen if they do.

As you know, when the client lies, the insurance company often times comes back and attacks the agent. If the client lies about smoking for example, they will lie again and say, I told him that I was a smoker and he didn't write it down. I think can show the company who ever where they signed this extra sheet of paper, explaining to them about lieing and that I told them not to lie. It has saved over 20 agents so far, that I know about. IT helps to have something extra to show the company, that backs up the fact you told the client not to lie.

Most application does already have the same thing built into it, but I want to stress the point to the client, on how important it is not to lie to the company or me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mark,

I went over to that link and followed the thread. I agree she has no clue. It's one of those times you just walk away. It would probaly not matter who tries to enlighten her.

It did make me chuckle , especially how people will hold on to trying to be right even when evidence is right in front of them , showing that the position they are holding to...is incorrect.

You gave it a good shot....

This lady also tries to act like an insurance agent and has no lic. She gives other clients on that site advise without having a clue or a lic.

Last edited:
I use it, because I want to make sure that the company knows that I told the client never to lie on the application and warn them what could happen if they do.

As you know, when the client lies, the insurance company often times comes back and attacks the agent. If the client lies about smoking for example, they will lie again and say, I told him that I was a smoker and he didn't write it down. I think can show the company who ever where they signed this extra sheet of paper, explaining to them about lieing and that I told them not to lie. It has saved over 20 agents so far, that I know about. IT helps to have something extra to show the company, that backs up the fact you told the client not to lie.

Most application does already have the same thing built into it, but I want to stress the point to the client, on how important it is not to lie to the company or me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This lady also tries to act like an insurance agent and has no lic. She gives other clients on that site advise without having a clue or a lic.

In my securities firm we like to call these people "armchair advisors." Just about any anonymous blog or web forum is crawling with them like roaches. I had an internet argument (I know, I know) with an *** a little while ago regarding insurance and securities. Finally I told him that I needed his name because I was going to look him up on FINRA.org brokersearch to see if he had a license to back up his advice. He sounded nothing but a 20 year old flunkie with NAA or Primerica MLMs.

After I asked that, he stopped arguing and there was nothing but silence from that time on. :)

Back