A Headstart and Preparing for Insurance Career

I'm still in Australia but will be back in Boston late October.

Can any of the agents provide tips on what I could do from here to prepare for my career in the Insurance industry in MA?
-ie Reading specific books, Schedule an exam, etc...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
:)

While I don't live in MA, I would suggest ordering the pre-licensing materials and studying then schedule state exam at the earliest when you are comfortable with the materials. I did the pre-licensing and state exam and passed in two weeks time with daily studying and passed the state exam while it was still fresh in my head.

You don't have to read specific books as the pre-lincensing materials give you everything you need. You can spend as little or as much time as you want studying for exam, but you're going to get your real knowledge and experience after you sign up with a couple of agencies.

There you will get product knowledge, underwriting guidelines and can start working appointments. Just my opinion, but I feel the best education you can get is by actually "doing." Calling leads, working appointments, talking to underwriters, following live apps, etc.

Be prepared to spend some money on leads or take a lower commission for free leads. You'll expedite your learning curve by actually "doing." I've gotten a little off topic here, but some times you have to dive into things with somewhat of a plan. Hope this helps some and am sure others will chime in to offer some input as well. Safe travels.

Cory-
Thank you for this very helpful information. I'll start looking into pre-lic; and agree that 'paying your dues' is needed in any career choice, including insurance sales.

good website to do your pre license is exam-fx
lots of material to be covered and you have about 3-4 months to complete it, took me about 2 months.
and if you need more time its like 20 bucks for another month.
when your done with the pre license your immediately directed to a website that will get you schedualed for your state license.
tell us your progress:)

Back