A Little Old School Method

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
Okay, I’m going back old school for a moment.

When cold calling or setting up an appointment with a client or just about any type of dealing with a client. I want you to use the words “HELP YOU” at least 10 times. One of my 1st boss use to make me write down help you 10 times on a sheet of paper and check them off as I’m talking with a client. After a while, I didn’t need to keep up with it any longer. I just got use to saying it.

I want to come out and help you today.
I want to help you protect your family.

I know this sounds very simple and old school.

I don’t see agents using briefcases anymore either. I still use one and I think it helps me on my sales.

Okay, one more old school trick. In your briefcase, have a couple of fake applications already filled out with some fake checks attached to them. Let the client see them in your briefcase. Not study them, but glance at them and see them. You can tell them you been busy today helping other clients protect their family. There are many reason why some agents do this, but let me keep this short. It helps. They don’t have to be fake either. If you wrote some other apps that day have them in your briefcase and while moving around the papers, the client will get a glance at them, while you are moving them.

There is a reason why I say this is old school. Meaning this is how we did it in the older days. But if you like the idea, then use it. If not, then don't.

Okay, one more old school trick. In your briefcase, have a couple of fake applications already filled out with some fake checks attached to them.

Wow.

This is the sort of subterfuge that has given many insurance agents the bad reputation that they so richly deserve.

An approach such as this stains the professional agents among us.

The only reason to resort to trickery is that you don't have the requisite skills to succeed on a straight-up basis.

Bad.

Wow.

This is the sort of subterfuge that has given many insurance agents the bad reputation that they so richly deserve.

An approach such as this stains the professional agents among us.

The only reason to resort to trickery is that you don't have the requisite skills to succeed on a straight-up basis.

Bad.

There are going to be a million old school things that we don't agree with or use today. But it is what some agents use to do in the old days.

I'm going to be bringing up some old school stuff, just to show the new agents how the older agents use to do it. It does not mean that I agree with everything they did or that I use it. But I think it makes for a great story and you might get some kind of an idea from it.

I think about over half of the old school methods are crazy today. Just food for thought.

I would like to hear from some of you, some of the old school stuff you know about, or use to do, that might have worked in the older days.

Don't get me wrong, I do carry real applications in my briefcase that I've been working on. I've had clients tell me things like, you sure have been busy, or a lot of other people must need insurance also. I also have a big picture of my family in my briefcase or laptop case.

I keep a policy I sold my wife handy so I can show people that I put my money where my mouth is.

Maybe old school, but honest and very effective. I do this with an IRA annuity in my wife's name and a life policy in my own name. The companies that I frequently recommend also happen to be those two companies.

If any of you have any family policies that you don't at least keep copies of, then you are wasting a good sales visual.

Old School -

"Mr. Business Owner, My name is Tim (Agent/Owner of Warner Insurance) I was going to come by next Tuesday morning to just drop off a card and introduce myself. I am calling to see if that is an ok thing for me to do and see if you are going to be in the office next Tuesday".

Old SChool Answer to NI Objection -

If you don't quailify for this policy (Name) what part are you not interested in when you die - your family having to live on welfare or your wife having to get remarried to some jerk!

New School - Find another prospect.

Well, like Mark said, it isn't advice. It is just a statement about how some sales were presented --mostly in the past.

Although I agree some of these methods should definitely not be used and are borderline fraud at best, it is still interesting.

Reading about these "old school" methods does two things: 1) makes us think about the ethics issues, and 2) makes us think about sales methods that might accomplish the same result without the misrepresentation aspect.

Okay, I'm going back old school again.

When you get out of your car, to walk into the house on the appointment, start waiving at the home to start with. Even if they are not looking at you.

Some clients will be trying to avoid you and act like they are not home, and if they think you already seen them, they will answer the door.

DISCLAIMER: I will be talking a lot about OLD SCHOOL methods. It does not mean that you have to do them or should do them. I'm just taking some of the new agents back to old school methods.

I wanted to talk about some methods that agents use to do back in the day.

I do believe that some of the new agents need to learn somethings from the past that agents use to do.

I still do some old school methods.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Okay, I’m going back old school for a moment.

When cold calling or setting up an appointment with a client or just about any type of dealing with a client. I want you to use the words “HELP YOU” at least 10 times. One of my 1st boss use to make me write down help you 10 times on a sheet of paper and check them off as I’m talking with a client. After a while, I didn’t need to keep up with it any longer. I just got use to saying it.

I want to come out and help you today.
I want to help you protect your family.

I know this sounds very simple and old school.

This is something I try to still do today. I try and say the words " Help You" at least so many times.

Last edited:
Old School - When we used to go door to door, when someone comes to the door make sure they see you step back a foot so they won't feel so intimidated, then introduce yourself and why your there , then ask "May I come In" while you reach for the door and actually open it. We always assumed everything, the acceptance, the pitch(yes we pitched), and the close.

New School - Do that now and you might just get shot.

Latest posts

Back