A Surprise for Those Who Wrote Under 65 Med Supps with BCBSGA

sman

Guru
5000 Post Club
If you wrote any under 65 Med Supps with BCBSGA between November 2010 and February 2011, you will be getting a pleasant surprise this month. As you may know, they are only paying an annual $5 commission on these applications.

Today, when I looked at my commission statement they were making an adjustment for those cases between the dates mentioned. Apparently, because there was some confusion in their communication to the agents on the commissions for under 65 Med Supps, they are paying the normal commission rates for cases during that period of time.

I originally thought it was a mistake and called BCBS and also spoke with the broker rep. It is no mistake.

I've had one company in my career do that. It is a nice surprise to have several hundred dollars kicked to you unexpectedly. Had more than one company do an audit and find that they had been paying more than agreed on commissions. They informed me that the rate had been a mistake, but no charge back happened. The latest was Mercy indie health plans in Arkansas. They were to pay 15% for year one then 7.5%. They paid 15% on some cases for two and three years before they caught it.

In Ca, a disability(under 65) med supp with Anthem pays $5/yr for 6 yrs.

Same here. However, under 65 is new here in Georgia (first started in November 2010) and the communication on what commissions were being paid was terrible (for both under 65 and over 65). We got three different schedules spread out over about a 6 week period. All after we had already submitted business. I had no clue what I was going to be paid.

I don't know what prompted the adjustment, but I'm very thankful as it is a substantial amount. The additional commission is just for those months mentioned. I believe beginning with either the March or April effective dates it will be $5 and those with effective dates prior to March or April will revert back to the $5 annual commission. This is just a one-time deal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It is a nice surprise to have several hundred dollars kicked to you unexpectedly.

Oh this is much more than several hundred dollars. I actually didn't believe the amount when I saw it. I just knew they made a mistake. I called Agent Services and they didn't have a clue. I was trying to get them to correct it before they direct deposited it to my account to avoid the hassle of having to mail them a check. So I called my rep and she said, "Oh, I didn't talk to you about this?"

Umm, no, you didn't. She said it's legit and gave me the reasoning I explained previously.

Last edited:
Just got the direct deposit. That is my third largest single check ever. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Reminds me of when I worked for Thompson Electric after exiting the Navy in '88. Since I was an electrician in the Navy I knew some stuff, but not commercial construction stuff. I studied the codes and the promise Don Thompson made me was that if I went to apprentice school, took the test, he would pay me at what ever level I test at.... not what level I was legally in the eyes of the state. I score well on test... made a high third year apprentice score. He never honored his promise.

Most of the two years I worked for Don was spent on the Pine Bluff, AR Weapons Depot... a gov contract. I'd long since left before the job was done... moved on to Levi Straus as a maintenance electrician.

One day I get this call from Don, seems he never put me down as a "class" of electrician. Under gov contract guidlines if you didn't designate then you pay top pay. Master Electrician is way higher than second year apprentice. Seems the contract was not going to be settled until he cleared up some book keeping errors. Mine being one. I sat across from his desk and he told me he made a mistake, explained it, and told me the "right thing to do would be for him to take me to the bank, let me cash the check, and give him the money back"... he offered me $100 for my trouble. See... until that check cleared he couldn't show he settled the problem.

I told him the right thing to do would have been to keep his promise, I reminded him of it, picked up the check, and walked out the door with him pissed as hell.

Good story. I bet he never makes a promise like that again. How much was the check?

It was very nice... real nice for a 24 year old, married, and a son.

Seems it was in the $4300 range... about two months pay for me back then.

It was very nice... real nice for a 24 year old, married, and a son.

Seems it was in the $4300 range... about two months pay for me back then.

Yeah, $4,300 is a nice size check. Especially for a 24 year old. This one was about 5 times that amount.

Back