AAA, good place to start?

mikemadly

Hi everyone,

I am being offered a sales position at AAA-The Automobile Club of Southern California, with one month of training, 4 months of salary and 100% commission thereafter, is this a good company to get started with as a newbie?

Thanks

I don't know how the company itself is, but the offer sure sounds good. Plus, Triple A is a very recognizable name that should not be difficult to sell.

I have a friend who works on the P&C side, he says the "average" earnings are about $80k per year, the maximum/heavy hitters are at $150k

I interviewed with them. I decided to stick with the senior market, but if I was going to do P&C they would be the ones I would go with.

You have a membership base to work with, branding, and leads off their advertising. I was impressed, but as mentioned, decided not to go the P&C route.

I don't know how the company itself is, but the offer sure sounds good. Plus, Triple A is a very recognizable name that should not be difficult to sell.
I used to work for AAA Missouri. I got recruited and there was one other agent of 20 years in the office in Joplin, MO. The other agent quit and he had a very large book of business. I ended up spending most all of my time servicing his book of business and not getting paid for the work. AAA calls those house accounts. Anyway, I was spending up to 80% of my time servicing those accounts with ridiculous quotas I had to meet. Starting month 13 you had to meet a certain quota by month 18. If you met that quota you still had a job but then your quota goes up another 50% starting month 19-24. Then in month 25 the quota goes up another 50%. All AAA seems to care about is auto sales. Most agents get fired before their 25 month and then the company does not have to pay any commission on that business anymore. Now the poor agent still in the office has to service the fired agent's book of business while being expected to meet an ever increasing quota himself. By the way, the quotas must be met for each 6 month time period for as long as you work for AAA.

What I was seeing they (AAA) cycle agents out every 2 years. I was in month 17 when I got fired. My District Manager (name is Greg Hubbard from Little Rock, AR) and the territory manager from Kansas City met me at my office and told me I got fired for making a personal phone call at work. I filed for unemployment insurance and the Appeals Tribunal found I was fired unjustly. I was actually on a call with a client who is also a friend and I was asking him how his fiancee and brother was doing and another customer in the office heard this part of the conversation and wrote a note to my boss (Hubbard) saying I was on a personal call and refused to wait on him and he was taking his single auto to State Farm.

Don't expect your manager to go to bat for you especially if his name is Greg Hubbard!

I do not recommend AAA for a prospective agent. AAA wasted almost 2 years of my life!!

What is their commission rate like? If they only pay 100% commission after four months what do they give as you a percentage?

I think with the kind of offer they are giving you, it will be a good start. As long as you are being taken cared of by the company. Good Luck!

Back