AARP Indemnity plans for Individuals 50-64

Don't the caps have to be mentioned in the policy? The plan I have read is branded AARP Health Care Options "Comprensive Plan". Not essential. Are you aware of the plan I am describing?

Isn't going after the agent the next step for those who chose limited pay plans and then get burned.

The agent, if there were one, would certainly be named in a suit. In the case of the Kelly's, it SEEMS that (especially since they bought via AARP) they did it themselves without the benefit of an agent advisor.

No one to blame, or sue.

I have not looked at the AARP plans in a while (other than the UHC limited benefit plans). When I have looked, they offer either street products or "private label" that are the same as street products. I am not aware of any carrier that is catering a plan just for AARP.

The only mystique about AARP is in the mind of the member. There are no deals there, especially on insured products.

AARP takes a product and negotiates a branding agreement, just like Sears does.

Don't the caps have to be mentioned in the policy? The plan I have read is branded AARP Health Care Options "Comprensive Plan". Not essential. Are you aware of the plan I am describing?

That would be the Aetna Premier plan, not the UHC Essential plan.

The agent, if there were one, would certainly be named in a suit. In the case of the Kelly's, it SEEMS that (especially since they bought via AARP) they did it themselves without the benefit of an agent advisor.

No one to blame, or sue.

That's quite the possibility. AARP's web site allows online enrollment. They are the agent's competitor, just like all other carriers are with their independents.

Ok, I went to AARP's site and the plan I am describing is new. Found here. I do see the essential plans too. However the one plan I read is new from UHC. This one is MM.

However, I did see the essential which is, like you say, fixed dollar mini-med. Great. Both of us are right.

Last edited:
Well, I am confused because the plan I read states underwritten by UHC.

UHC underwrites the AARP Essential and AARP Essential Plus Individual Indemnity plans. Aetna underwrites the AARP Essential Premier plan. These plans can be found on the AARP web site, but I wouldn't trust all the info there to be completely accurate. The web site was built long before the products were ready and available. (Just like computers and /or software that is bandied about months or years before it is sold.)

The AARP products were not available until 4/7/08. I have been able to view the proposed products on their site since October. A lot changed since then.

UHC underwrites the AARP Essential and AARP Essential Plus Individual Indemnity plans. Aetna underwrites the AARP Essential Premier plan. These plans can be found on the AARP web site, but I wouldn't trust all the info there to be completely accurate. The web site was built long before the products were ready and available. (Just like computers and /or software that is bandied about months or years before it is sold.)

The AARP products were not available until 4/7/08. I have been able to view the proposed products on their site since October. A lot changed since then.

I just saw and read the UHC AARP comprehensive plan that my family member has. It is not the essential indemnity plans at all. Here is some info. And, it is a new major medical plan.

AARP Personal Health Insurance Plans

The AARP Personal Health Insurance Plan is a comprehensive network based coverage plan designed with a more personal approach, with unique self-care services that empower you to stay healthy and manage your own care. Plus, you will have access to exclusive on-line health resources to make sure you have the information you need.
The AARP Personal Health Insurance Plan is currently available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Maryland, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Coverage may not be available in all areas of the states indicated above. The rates and number of plans available to you in your area may be based on your age and location. (If you are shopping for a family member, age 50 to 64, input his or her information).

United HealthCare Insurance Company and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company pay license fees to AARP and its affiliate for use of the AARP trademark and other services. Amounts paid are used for the general purposes of AARP and its members.

AARP Health Care Options is the name of AARP’s health insurance and service program. It is not the insurer. Ages 50-64 Health plans are insured by United HealthCare Insurance Company (For plans offered in NY, United HealthCare Insurance Company of New York) under Policy GRP 79171 GPS-1 (G-36000-2, 5, 6). These plans provide supplemental health insurance coverage and are not Medicare supplement or major medical plans. All plans may not be available in all states/areas.

Back