AARP MedSupp Rate Question

SouthernComfort

Guru
100+ Post Club
The client birthday is 04/18/1946, Part B effective date is 08/01/2003. Which group do I rate him out of? Group 1(I think it has to be Group 2 doesn't begin until age 68).

What documentation does AARP require for Guarantee Issue business? The client is dropping coverage voluntarily, his rate for his retiree Major Med will be over 800 January 1.

Thanks Guys

The client birthday is 04/18/1946, Part B effective date is 08/01/2003. Which group do I rate him out of? Group 1(I think it has to be Group 2 doesn't begin until age 68)."

1.Rate section Group 1 describes the 3 year requirements right above the rates, probably is Group 1 from what you describe
2. If not within 6 mo of T65/getting B, but 3 years or less, there are two more short sections, not long form medical. If the two questions are answered no, then that's it on the app in my state, check yours for sure. Not quite GI, but very simple underwriting.

"What documentation does AARP require for Guarantee Issue business? The client is dropping coverage voluntarily, his rate for his retiree Major Med will be over 800 January 1."

Re: GI proof, usually letter from carrier dropping coverage. Or proof of eligibility for other ways GI is allowed. Voluntarily leaving a retirement plan is probably not a GI event: See pp. 21-24 "Choosing a Medigap Policy", which is supposed to be delivered to prospect/client with each Medigap app/coverage booklet, and comes in most packets. Pay close attention to each GI situation described there and the requirements/limitations.
I was amazed that all the managers and CS reps (this is their full time salaried job) I asked about this last year when I was part time and not as experienced could not tell me for sure how Trial Rights from Medicare Advantage within 1st year worked. It was a non-licensed friend of a client who pointed out that it was in the publication, p. 23. RTM.....lol.....:cool:

The client birthday is 04/18/1946, Part B effective date is 08/01/2003. Which group do I rate him out of? Group 1(I think it has to be Group 2 doesn't begin until age 68).

What documentation does AARP require for Guarantee Issue business? The client is dropping coverage voluntarily, his rate for his retiree Major Med will be over 800 January 1.

Thanks Guys
Letter of creditable coverage. GI: Applicant lose, learn they have lost, or drop employer coverage.

"Letter of creditable coverage. GI: Applicant lose, learn they have lost, or drop employer coverage." Where does that phrase come from?

If this is the case, then any time someone leaves employer coverage, even voluntarily, the letter from insurer will have wording that tells them they are an "eligible person" for GI, as required by the prior coverage loss question on UHC app?

I'm fine with that, if correct, haven't had that exact situation, and was not aware someone could leave their retirement coverage voluntarily at any time and be guaranteed issue on a MedSupp.

GI rights, Medicare.gov: http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/staticpages/learn/rights-and-protections.aspx

Last edited:
I called UHC about the GI rights and they said that voluntarily dropping of coverage would be a GI issue. Thank you all!

Thanks, I will double check that for my state, but good to know. Do like them in my toolkit, have needed more often lately.

And granted they usually pay less then most med supps out there but they do not cut your commission on GI, so in those instances you will most likely get paid more. I know there are a few others left, Oxford being one that do not cut either. Another thing that is nice is you can GI on any plan that UHC offers as well.

Last edited:
Back