AARP Membership/Supps

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I had a client call me this afternoon saying that AARP called her telling her that she needed to renew her membership.
It had been my understanding from previous AARP training seminars, that the membership is only required for the first year/at time of enrollment. After that, the customer can let the membership lapse if they so choose.
However, according to her, the guy from AARP that called her told her that "not renewing her membership, could result in negative consequences." she said that, although he didn't actually come out and say it, that he implied her policy would be dropped.
I was a little more than thrown back that AARP, an organization that stresses during their online training emphasizes that their agent do not use strong armed scare tactics on old people during sales presentations, would make phone calls like these.
I am currently waiting for a response from an AARP market manager just to confirm that she doesn't need to renew her membership.

No...she doesn't need to renew that membership, but she will lose membership benefits like their travel and meal discounts, mag subscription, drug store discounts on otc meds @ Walgreens, etc.

If they have value for her it might be worth the $16/yr.

But watch those weasels....they kept sending renewal notices to my mom way before actual renewal date (like3-4 mos prior) and so she wound up renewing like a year or more in advance. (no discounts either for doing so).

Just had market manager respond, exact response:

"I have never heard of AARP calling anyone. Did the member get a number of the person who called?.

The med supp plan is not affected at all by the membership lapse."

there is no way I am the only one that has clients complain about AARP's phone calls to them right?

I have not taken a close look at one of their policies but I would bet that the guaranteed renewability clause does not include a condition requiring membership.

Just had market manager respond, exact response:

"I have never heard of AARP calling anyone. Did the member get a number of the person who called?.

The med supp plan is not affected at all by the membership lapse."

there is no way I am the only one that has clients complain about AARP's phone calls to them right?

Yeah like some third party is going to strong arming someone to renew the membership.

I have a client (UHC Dual Complete) that receives her renewal notice and like clockwork she calls me once a month for the last few months to make sure she isn't suppose to send in the money to renew (she formally had a MS and MAPD with AARP). She then catches me up on her ailments! My wife fielded the call this month as I was out when she called.

I have a client (UHC Dual Complete) that receives her renewal notice and like clockwork she calls me once a month for the last few months to make sure she isn't suppose to send in the money to renew (she formally had a MS and MAPD with AARP). She then catches me up on her ailments! My wife fielded the call this month as I was out when she called.

You have a very nice wife.

Back