AARP

Superchief

Guru
100+ Post Club
TEXAS
Anyone have tips on how to overcome AARP when it comes to a med supp prospect?

I understand the fact that AARP doesn't have agents to help assist a policyholder, etc and that all they can do is call in and navigate the automation and call center type service, but is there anything else?

Anyone have tips on how to overcome AARP when it comes to a med supp prospect?

I understand the fact that AARP doesn't have agents to help assist a policyholder, etc and that all they can do is call in and navigate the automation and call center type service, but is there anything else?

They are way overpriced (often to the tune of $70-100 per month depending on the plan and age) here and probably everywhere else. One reason is that they will accept people into that supp with health conditions that no one else will touch.

If your price is cheaper and you would be their agent.....what more do you need? Most people are with AARP because thats the only company they have heard of. At least that has been my experiences.

AARP has become a slick marketing company. What happened to protecting old people? Sad...

The politicians are getting way too expensive to bribe. The AARP needs all the lobbying money they can get!

If your price is cheaper and you would be their agent.....what more do you need? Most people are with AARP because thats the only company they have heard of. At least that has been my experiences.

It is mine as well. IMO their plan is only for people with $$ who cannot qualify for someone elses. Now I have run across people who have had theirs for years who are now in their later 70's and 80's and aren't paying too much considering. But those who buy now usually are paying more at 65 than those folks.

If you are encountering resistance, it is probably b/c they haven't heard of your company and/or they do not realize that Medicare Supplements are standardized and that Company X's plan F is the same as AARP/United's.

Around here, people in their 90's are paying about the same as a 70 yr old. I think they gave huge discounts back then. I ran into a 66 yr old 2 weeks ago with AARP and I could not get him to switch for $30 a month. Just remember you can't get everyone no matter how much more you have to offer.

Around here, people in their 90's are paying about the same as a 70 yr old. I think they gave huge discounts back then. I ran into a 66 yr old 2 weeks ago with AARP and I could not get him to switch for $30 a month. Just remember you can't get everyone no matter how much more you have to offer.

Some people are going to go with the big name no matter what, whether it's BC/BS or AARP. I've found if you can get to them at age 65 or when they are looking to change they are more amenable but few are going to want to switch for $8 or $10 per month or in some cases as you mention above, even if they can save more. A lot of people are very resistant to change unless their current plan is really stretching their budget, even if it makes no sense at all from our point of view. I haven't been in the supp. business long, but that's why you want to follow up later on when the rate increase hits.

Back