asher

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have been referred a 62 year old.
Currently on subsidized Obamacare
Will start Medicare Disability A & B Jan 1 2017

Must she go medicare?

Or can she give govt backMedicare and stay subsidized Obamacare to
age 65 when is now eligible for Medicare due to age.

She likes her Obamacare because she has best FLBlue Health Options and great subsidy?

I don.t want to miss advise her. I dont do Obamacare or under 65 now for years.

Thank you for any assistance of input.:goofy:

I have been referred a 62 year old.
Currently on subsidized Obamacare
Will start Medicare Disability A & B Jan 1 2017

Must she go medicare?

Or can she give govt backMedicare and stay subsidized Obamacare to
age 65 when is now eligible for Medicare due to age.

She likes her Obamacare because she has best FLBlue Health Options and great subsidy?

I don.t want to miss advise her. I dont do Obamacare or under 65 now for years.

Thank you for any assistance of input.:goofy:

Being eligible for Medicare will wipe out the subsidy and she would also pay a penalty for not taking part b when first eligible.

It would be a mistake not to take the Medicare. It is more expensive for heavily subsidized people, but at least you have some idea what to expect year to year. There is no guarantee that her current ACA carrier, plan and/or network will be available in future years.

Being eligible for Medicare will wipe out the subsidy and she would also pay a penalty for not taking part b when first eligible.

If the person is receiving a large tax credit, there is a decent chance of qualifying for a low income subsidy for prescriptions and if the income and assets qualify for low income subsidy, the application will be forwarded to social services to see if the client qualifies for a program that could pay for the cost of the Medicare Part B premiums. If the income is very low, the equivalent of Cost Sharing Reductions that the client likely has now could happen, also. The social services/CMS partnership for this is called the Medicare Savings Program. One possible glitch for some, the income is important, but the Medicare related financial help is also "means tested", so if there are money assets above certain limits, that can disqualify the person. All this is searchable on Medicare.gov.

I work with my clients turning 65 or SSDI recipients losing their tax credit based policies when their Medicare starts. Most of them are OK, and may need help finding low income sliding scale help for big bills, etc. It's a bit of a glitch to give them so much help with ACA, then put the SSDI recipients on Medicare HMO's with up to $6,700 out of pocket.

Back