ACA Opinion Appreciated

Getting conflicting answers...so curious what you might think:

Person on subsidized ACA plan turning 65 in several months......therefore ELIGIBLE for Medicare at age 65, and normally would switch to Medicare and not be subsidy eligible if he tried to keep the ACA plan. However, he only has 28 credits, and Part A would cost $400+/month and another $104 for part B. So...even though he is eligible for Medicare, he elects NOT to enroll in Medicare,. can he keep his ACA plan with subsidies? MarketPlace seems to think he can keep the subsidies if not enrolled in Part A...but I keep tripping over the word ELIGIBLE. In this case eligible is not really affordable.

I think in this case, it likely also puts him in penalty situation for not getting Part B when first eligible,,,,since this is not the same as staying on an employer plan. Maybe a Part D problem later too?

Any opinions or documents appreciated.

Can he work two more quarters? That will reduce his part A required contribution I think if he has at least 30 quarters.

Someone else chime in: Also a slight chance if he is poor enough to get the state to pick up his part B and some/all of part D maybe part A, right? through QMB, SLMB, etc?

Or qualifying if he has a working spouse with enough quarters?

I don't know the answer to the OP though, sorry.

I found this online. It is from 2014 and I don't know anything about the source.

http://www.iceforhealth.org/podcast/20150123_02_ICEConf2014_Medicare_NewInsMarketplace.pdf

On page 4 it states that you may keep your marketplace coverage if you are required to pay a premium for your part A. Not sure about the APTC though. Hope this helps or gives you somewhere to look.

Last edited:
I think you are correct sir

LOL....I did not know I had a direction to be correct on!!! If you think you know, let me know which assumption you think I am correct on. :biggrin:

----------

Can he work two more quarters? That will reduce his part A required contribution I think if he has at least 30 quarters.

Someone else chime in: Also a slight chance if he is poor enough to get the state to pick up his part B and some/all of part D maybe part A, right? through QMB, SLMB, etc?

Or qualifying if he has a working spouse with enough quarters?

I don't know the answer to the OP though, sorry.

I found this online. It is from 2014 and I don't know anything about the source.

http://www.iceforhealth.org/podcast/20150123_02_ICEConf2014_Medicare_NewInsMarketplace.pdf

On page 4 it states that you may keep your marketplace coverage if you are required to pay a premium for your part A. Not sure about the APTC though. Hope this helps or gives you somewhere to look.

Thanks for the document....but it does leave the subsidy question a little vague.

Back