Accident by Nature. My New insurance went up. need help around it.

ronaub144

I am 26. I was on my fathers insurance with car registered to his name in state of AL. I recently got job in GA so been using the car there. While going back home to AL, roads were icy and had a wreck. It was natures fault but by policy its still considered my fault. Anyways, I am buying a new car and got a quote on the insurance and it was 3x high. Was paying ~$450/6 mo now its ~$1600/6 mo. I can't seem to afford that now. Is there any way around it?

Can I get my new car registered under my dads name and he adds it to his insurance policy, and if I drive it. I will be temporary living in GA for now. I should still be covered and my insurance should still be low, correct? My name would still be under his policy but he would be the one who owns and primary user of the car. Im just looking for another way so my payments are low. Any other way?

First, the accident wasn't nature's fault, you were driving and that makes it your responsibility

If it's your father's car and your father's policy AND you are listed on the policy, that shouldn't be a problem.

So you're saying, he registers the car under his name and in his policy, and then adds my name under the policy, it will be normal price. His record is clean.

I live in GA, which is two hours away from where he lives in AL. will I be still able to use the car and receive full coverage? If I get in accident in GA, I will still be covered? I just got my license changed to GA prior to my accident.

You stated that your "were" on Dad's policy. A couple of red flags come to mind. The car you are driving must be registered or titled in your name and Dad's. If Dad cosigned for the vehicle he has an insurable interest. If you bought the car and Dad is not on the title or registration it cannot go on Dad's policy. Where are you licensed? You are working in Georgia and I will guess living in Georgia. Some night a cop with nothing to do will notice the out of state tags and take note of the date. 30 days or so later he will see if the tags have changed and if not, place a summons on the vehicle. The car should have a Georgia policy as it is garaged in Georgia, especially if it is registered to you. Where were you insured? If you left Dad's policy when you moved to Georgia you are not a resident of his household. You are not a student. Auto insurance can be expensive but being denied coverage because you submitted an inaccurate application (fraud) is a lot more expensive.

Can I get my new car registered under my dads name and he adds it to his insurance policy, and if I drive it. I will be temporary living in GA for now. I should still be covered and my insurance should still be low, correct? My name would still be under his policy but he would be the one who owns and primary user of the car.

Are you planning on disclosing to his insurance company that you are the primary driver of his car while it's located in another state? If yes, and the insurance company goes along with it you should be fine. Just understand that the rates on his policy for the car you drive will also increase due to your accident.

And if you aren't planning on disclosing to his insurance company that you are the primary driver of his car while it's located in another state that's insurance fraud which carries with it some nightmarish consequences.

Oh, one option for you is, instead of a "new" car, buy an old car, cheap for cash, and just buy liability insurance. That'll save you some money.

Nature’s fault :D .

Is that anything like "The Devil made me do it."?

Find a good independent agent and explain the situation in detail and let them help you figure out the best way to handle this in getting you the best coverage at the most affordable price. The important thing is to make sure you are properly insured...the premium means nothing if you don't have the right coverage that is written the right way.

Best thing to do is grow up. You are 26 years old, live in a different state than do your parents. Life is expensive

Carriers are cracking down on the "permissive use" loophole. Don't be the guy they decide to make an example of. It's your car, insure it the right way, not relying on dad. Learn from your mistake (yes your mistake take responsibility for it, don't blame it on a non sentient entity) and either look at other cars, or pay the price. Also, while the incident may play a part in the higher premium, so does your location, particularly if you're in Atlanta. So is the fact that coverage is rated on your risk factors, not your dad's.
If you're currently insured with a company that spends millions on TV advertisements, you might simply be outside their typical appetite at this time. Find an independent agent who can help you secure a policy that is a good fit for you. And if you're buying a Dodge charger or Nissan Altima/Maxima, perhaps look at other models. These are among the most expensive to insure of mass produced vehicles.
Good luck

Back