Accident

Brea

Just got into an accident, my car was a 03 Buick Rendezvous & the other person car was a 07 Honda Civic. On the highway, I was moving from the slow lane to the fast lane, but we were moving together, meaning she got over once seeing I was getting over, I got over & we collided. It resulted in both of us knocking each other off the road, but the civic looked totaled (but I’m no mechanic) & there were no bodily injuries, but I’m pregnant & had to be seen. I have liability with a $25,000 property damaged limit but my property damage deductible says “not applicable”, what does that mean? I’m kind of worried about what’s gonna happen. The highway patrol put I was at fault on the accident report for “illegal lane change” & $155 ticket. I think that’s only bc my suv suffered a few scratches, but that’s expected if those two are to collide.

If you were at fault typically that would mean that your policy would pay for the repairs to the other person's car. There is no deductible applicable to a liability coverage so you shouldn't necessarily incur any fees. Damage to YOUR car, if you have physical damage coverage, and you choose to file a claim, you may incur the deductible, but it doesnt sound like you are concerned with any damage to your car.

Much of this depends on the ins companies determination of fault, your adjuster, and most importantly your policy contract, and please understand my observation is based on what you said and assumption, but, I think you'll likely be just fine as long as you involve YOUR insurance professional or company.

Just got into an accident, my car was a 03 Buick Rendezvous & the other person car was a 07 Honda Civic. On the highway, I was moving from the slow lane to the fast lane, but we were moving together, meaning she got over once seeing I was getting over, I got over & we collided. It resulted in both of us knocking each other off the road, but the civic looked totaled (but I’m no mechanic) & there were no bodily injuries, but I’m pregnant & had to be seen. I have liability with a $25,000 property damaged limit but my property damage deductible says “not applicable”, what does that mean? I’m kind of worried about what’s gonna happen. The highway patrol put I was at fault on the accident report for “illegal lane change” & $155 ticket. I think that’s only bc my suv suffered a few scratches, but that’s expected if those two are to collide.

Generally that would pay for property damage due to the collision, if your contract doesn't specify a deductible then check your policy, it should breakdown the deductible to "type of damage"

I'd like to see if you could post the declaration page of your policy, cross out you name and address, so we can see what you are talking about. Sounds like you did not look to see if therre were vehicles beside you or they were in your blind spot and you changed lanes which caused an accident. you would be at fault because of an unsafe lane change, hence the ticket.

I’m kind of worried about what’s gonna happen.

Don't worry. The worst that can happen is that you pay your fine, your insurance company pays for the other car, and your rates go up.

$25,000 is more than enough for a 12 year old Civic which is probably worth $4000 to $6000.

Back