ADD Mandate in FL?

mariemerganser

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just had a client call me and tell me that Florida just passed a law mandating full coverage for ADD/ADHD with no pre-existing? Does anyone know what she is talking about?

Just had a client call me and tell me that Florida just passed a law mandating full coverage for ADD/ADHD with no pre-existing? Does anyone know what she is talking about?

This is news to me, and I'm in the loop pretty good here in the Sunshine State.

The Florida legislature (in their infinite wisdom?) during the session just ended passed a bill that added autism coverage as a statutory coverage to group health insurance plans.

Full details have yet to be hashed out...

Adderall is a bunt with a c. It's been a no go every time. You can't even get it from Canada anymore. Here's the typical situation:

Client: I have ADD or ADHD, I take Adderall.

Agent: You are insurable however the Adderall will not be covered.

Client: So, I pay for the Adderall. Maybe save a bit with a discount card.

Agent: Yes.

Client: click.

So I'm guessing my client got misinformation. Seemed like a bold statement, I will have to ask her who told her about this new "mandate" and get back to you guys.

So I'm guessing my client got misinformation. Seemed like a bold statement, I will have to ask her who told her about this new "mandate" and get back to you guys.

No law was passed making add a mandate, It was autism. Some companies will just exclude the ADD but rate them up and cover the drugs. So the exclusion is for the counseling and other doc's visits related to the add.

No law was passed making add a mandate, It was autism. Some companies will just exclude the ADD but rate them up and cover the drugs. So the exclusion is for the counseling and other doc's visits related to the add.

Yeah, I read that about the autism and was wondering if she could have been referring to that.

Marie, if your client has ADD and takes Adderall, you'll likely want to cut your losses and move on to the next client. Very rarely do individuals taking Adderall actually buy something. The are so preoccupied with the costs of the med that they cannot afford anything. I am speaking with regards to Florida.

If they're broke, medicaid. Otherwise they need group coverage...sad scenario.

Marie, if your client has ADD and takes Adderall, you'll likely want to cut your losses and move on to the next client. Very rarely do individuals taking Adderall actually buy something. The are so preoccupied with the costs of the med that they cannot afford anything. I am speaking with regards to Florida.

If they're broke, medicaid. Otherwise they need group coverage...sad scenario.

Sorry you have been so unlucky with your clients that take Adderall. Mine either decide to take the 50% rateup with Aetna and have the RX covered or go the Golden Rule route and pay for it out of pocket. I have plenty of clients who take Adderall and have never once had any issues with any of them.

Back