Add MedSupp's to 48 Hour Cool-off

MedSuppPro

Guru
1000 Post Club
"Effective immediately, no other insurance products may be presented at any point during an MA / PDP / Medicare Supplement appointment, including Senior Dental and cancer coverage. Clients requesting information on these products will need to schedule another appointment to be held at least 48 hours after the Medicare presentation, in accordance with CMS’s 48 hour ‘cooling-off’ rule"-- Universal American, August 2009

Not sure why MedSupp appointment was added. CMS doesn't rule over the MedSupp appointment, yet!

The "/" symbol is often used as a substitute for the word "or". :goofy:

Do they even have a clue?

TO is over interpreting the CMS SCOPE requirements. No other carrier is doing this. Come on Jack Mackin, stop reading into the CMS rules! :err:

This is the one I received yesterday.

50.6 - Plan Sponsor Mailing Statements on Envelopes/Mailing Itself
(Rev. 91; Issued: 08-07-09; Effective/Implementation Date: 08-07-09)
42 CFR 422.2272(b), 423.2272(b)
All plan sponsors that mail information to Medicare beneficiaries (prospective or enrolled) should include one of the three statements on any envelope or the mailing itself (if no envelope is being sent) that they are sending to Medicare beneficiaries regardless of the materials inside of the envelope. One of the three statements on the outside of the envelope or mailing itself should best fit the information being sent to the Medicare beneficiary which are:
1. Advertising pieces – "This is an advertisement;"
2. Plan information – "Important plan information about your enrollment; and
3. Health – "Health or wellness or prevention information."

These statements must be in 12 pt font.

I'm starting to get that 2008 feeling that CMS will be posting on a weekly basis regulatory memo's and carriers will make multiple revisions of their "Code of Conduct's" and agents will be more confused then ever.

The good news is CMS has told the carriers to notify their agents by October 1st of the 2010 commission levels. Fat chance... :D

Imagine the pitiful response rate for a mailer with the WARNING: "This is an advertisement" :confused: on the envelope. File 13...

If a plan sponsor also sends out a MedSupp mailer this rule appears to apply? Puts companies like Aetna, BCBS, Humana, UnitedHealthcare (AARP) at a slight disadvantage!

It's a slow creep into the MedSupp arena. I knew this would happen... :1err:

Last edited:
You go girl! Congrats, smart move on your part.

Holler if I can help. That's what we say down here in the "sticks".

You will be hearing from me real soon! Transforming my office now getting ready to start as soon as I get cut loose from "Captive" status. My focus is to have as much ready as possible to hit the floor running. No excitement here, can you tell!

You will be hearing from me real soon! Transforming my office now getting ready to start as soon as I get cut loose from "Captive" status. My focus is to have as much ready as possible to hit the floor running. No excitement here, can you tell!

I wish you well.

Back