Add your parents to your health insurance plan? California says maybe.

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Add your parents to your health insurance plan? California says maybe. | BenefitsPRO

A proposal from Assemblyman Miguel Santiago passed its first committee hearing this week. If it becomes law, California would be the only state that allows this, according to the state Department of Insurance. Supporters, including Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, say it will save families money by, among other things, limiting their expenses to one shared out-of-pocket maximum limit.

Supporters have framed the bill as a way to increase coverage among the state’s uninsured population, which is made up mostly of people who are living in the country illegally and are not eligible for government-funded insurance programs such as Medicaid and Medicare. Those people also aren’t eligible for federal assistance to purchase private coverage through Covered California, the state’s health insurance exchange.

California to Let Kids Add Dependent Parents to Family Health Policies | ThinkAdvisor
  • Assembly Bill 570 will let adult children add parents and stepparents who are dependents to individual and family coverage.
  • The new law is set to take effect in 2023.
  • The law contains no age limitations, no requirements for parents who are eligible for Medicare to stick with Medicare, and no special provisions for dependent parents who have catastrophic health problems.
For dependent parents who are about to turn 65, or who are already 65, using the new law to sign up for commercial coverage could complicate efforts to enroll in Medicare.

California to Let Kids Add Dependent Parents to Family Health Policies | ThinkAdvisor
  • Assembly Bill 570 will let adult children add parents and stepparents who are dependents to individual and family coverage.
  • The new law is set to take effect in 2023.
  • The law contains no age limitations, no requirements for parents who are eligible for Medicare to stick with Medicare, and no special provisions for dependent parents who have catastrophic health problems.
For dependent parents who are about to turn 65, or who are already 65, using the new law to sign up for commercial coverage could complicate efforts to enroll in Medicare.
What do you mean complicate it? If they're added to their children's plan, and can stay on it, they won't need Medicare.

That depends on income, family size, age etc..but I wasn't questioning whether or not it was "better". I don't see what makes it more complicated. In fact, every year people ask me if they can stay on Ocare. They're paying less, and their Rx is cheaper than Medicare.

That depends on income, family size, age etc..but I wasn't questioning whether or not it was "better". I don't see what makes it more complicated. In fact, every year people ask me if they can stay on Ocare. They're paying less, and their Rx is cheaper than Medicare.
Once their Medicare Part A starts and they stay on O'bamacare, they don't get the subsidy any more and the premium would be so high it wouldn't make sense to carry it.

Once their Medicare Part A starts and they stay on O'bamacare, they don't get the subsidy any more and the premium would be so high it wouldn't make sense to carry it.

The bill is particularly appealing to those that aren't entitled to free Medicare A and could obtain coverage through Ocare by being added to the children's policy.

I have actually written Ocare on people that were over 65 and not entitled to Medicare, and they do receive the subsidy. A bill like this could actually be good for families that have aging parents in an uncomfortable financial position.

It's only broadening the family coverage to include parents as dependents. It makes perfect sense, if the parents are dependents. I see no reason to object to this item. However, opinions are only opinions.

Medicare would be better coverage and way less expensive than paying for a regular plan.

I knew you were a Bernie supporter!

It's only broadening the family coverage to include parents as dependents. It makes perfect sense, if the parents are dependents.

In general, as we age, health care needs increase . . . especially Rx. Adding an older, sicker group to the pool will have a negative impact somewhere along the way

The bill is particularly appealing to those that aren't entitled to free Medicare A and could obtain coverage through Ocare by being added to the children's policy.

I have actually written Ocare on people that were over 65 and not entitled to Medicare, and they do receive the subsidy. A bill like this could actually be good for families that have aging parents in an uncomfortable financial position.

It's only broadening the family coverage to include parents as dependents. It makes perfect sense, if the parents are dependents. I see no reason to object to this item. However, opinions are only opinions.
True, but you said something about keeping them on O'bamacare instead of going on Medicare.

Back