Adding free perks to insurance policies

I've seen perks used or I've used some myself to sell policies

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

PilotAF

Question for the pros...

Has anyone seen or used "perks" to sell insurance policies...particularly auto or health, but really anything.

For example:
When you sign up for a policy you get...
Free oil change
Free set of windshield wipers
2 movie tickets
Free tire rotation
etc...

If you used perks, did you have to pay for them, or were they sponsored by the company that offered them? Also, did you work those deals yourself, or did the agency owner have deals in place for their agents to utilize?

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to learning more.

Question for the pros...

Has anyone seen or used "perks" to sell insurance policies...particularly auto or health, but really anything.

For example:
When you sign up for a policy you get...
Free oil change
Free set of windshield wipers
2 movie tickets
Free tire rotation
etc...

If you used perks, did you have to pay for them, or were they sponsored by the company that offered them? Also, did you work those deals yourself, or did the agency owner have deals in place for their agents to utilize?

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to learning more.
If you are making the freebie contingent on buying a policy (sign the app) you can look forward to not having to worry about who pays for the freebie for very long. That is a form of rebating, is illegal and you will lose your license.

Last edited:
@rousemark Thanks for the feedback!
I'm not interested in doing illegal stuff. Do you have a reference for that law?

What is "firm of relating"...I'm just not familiar with the term.

Would your answer change if the item were added to the policy as a billed product? So, your policy includes $5/month charge for oil changes at the local Chevy dealer.

@rousemark Thanks for the feedback!
I'm not interested in doing illegal stuff. Do you have a reference for that law?

What is "firm of relating"...I'm just not familiar with the term.

Would your answer change if the item were added to the policy as a billed product? So, your policy includes $5/month charge for oil changes at the local Chevy dealer.
That should have been " form" of rebating. The giving of anything in exchange for the purchase of insurance. Could also be considered an inducement to buy which is also illegal. The coverages contained within a policy are set by law, you cannot add, delete or include items. Do you have an insurance license? All this should have been covered in the exam..

Appreciate your insight.

I absolutely do not have an insurance license, but I was working on a business idea that would reduce risk for insurance companies by including certain products in the policy that would decrease the likelihood of an accident or health incident. I am just trying to figure out the most effective way to market this.
If it can't be free and can't be included in a policy, then that helps give me better direction.

I read some articles online about rebating and its illegal status in 48 states. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Let me ask this from a different perspective to see what y'all think...

I'm not selling insurance; I'm not rebating commissions/premiums. I'm selling a widget to an insurance company or broker that is then marking it up and selling it to their policy holders and billing the policy holder the cost of the widget concurrently with their auto policy.
This eliminates the whole "movie tickets" thing, but let's just say it is car tires for example (unrealistic, but just for example). I am a tire salesman that ships tires to your (agent's) policy holder every year. You (the agent) add the price of the tires that I charge you, plus a markup, to the monthly premium...or at least billed at the same time as the monthly premium.
In this case, nothing is "free." Possible?

Back