"Additional Adjustment to Account for Loss of CSR Funding"

RayNY

Guru
1000 Post Club
Department of Financial Services recently released the approved 2018 rates for NY: Press Release - August 15, 2017: DFS Announces 2018 Health Insurance Rates in a Continued Robust New York Market

Besides being one of the smallest decreases I've ever seen (only ~25%, usually it's closer to 50%), they have also added an "Additional Adjustment to Account for Loss of CSR" to the individual products.

The state has chosen to add an additional increase to the filings in order to compensate for the withheld CSR payments, and they've made a point to show it as a separate line-item.

Our DFS Superintendent is clearly not happy with the way the Federal Gov't is handling this. This CSR adjustment could have just been baked into the rate adjustment, but they're making statement by showing it as a separate line item. She also released an official statement yesterday that in no uncertain terms condemns the actions of the federal government. (August 24, 2017: Statement by DFS Superintendent Maria T. Vullo Regarding Careconnect)

Is this happening in your state? Do we have any federal confirmation that CSR payments are truly withheld?

My info tells me they are still being paid but Trump could/may yank for 18... He does and I think its a poor maneuver. Congress is said to be working on a fix for this.

In my view the wording of the statement is typical of a left leaning state in an effort to show a Trump withholding of CSR caused rates to climb X%. Trump holds CSR then and only then will he own ACA

:embarrassed:
My info tells me they are still being paid but Trump could/may yank for 18... He does and I think its a poor maneuver. Congress is said to be working on a fix for this.

In my view the wording of the statement is typical of a left leaning state in an effort to show a Trump withholding of CSR caused rates to climb X%. Trump holds CSR then and only then will he own ACA

I really hate it when Tater and I are in 100% agreement.....

Ignoring the politics of it, I think putting it in as a separate line item is smart. Should CSR come through, this makes it easier to back out the adjustment and even refund people who have already paid it.

I did not read the statement, so I will take your word for it that the Superintendent is also making a very firm political statement as well.

Tater/kgmom, having dug into this a bit further, it's looking like the carrier and DFS agree with that sentiment: still on for 2017, quite possibly withheld for 2018.

I can agree that NY is a left-leaning state overall, but credit where credit is due, they did specify that this change will have an effect of <1% on the individual market, so it's at least being represented fairly and accurately.

The jabs about "destabilizing actions of the federal gov't" and "President Trump's misguided attacks" are more of what I was referring to in terms of condemning their actions.

Latest posts

Back