Additional auto insurance for rental cars

Snow Plowers

I've a personal auto insurance which covers liability, comprehensive and collision and planning to use it as primary while driving rental cars. Are there any other advantages from insurance sold by rental car company? I've heard people saying claims filed under rental car sponsored insurance will not affect the premium paid on personal auto insurance. Is that true?

Insurance sold by rental car companies cover lost days of use by the rental company, personal lines insurance does not. A claim filed against the rental coverage on their carrier will not affect your rates, a claim filed against your personal carrier will. Always check with any credit card you have to see if any coverage is provided. Some rental companies can get real pushy about the charge for lost usage and will cut off your ability to rent from them when your carrier balks at paying the bill for lost usage. Oh well. Also your personal lines may not cover rentals anywhere other than USA, territories, and Canada. Call your agent. And your personal lines policy does not cover rental trucks over a certain weight.

Thank you so much for your response.

One question: any claims filed by a person makes him/her a risk - even with rental insurance. wondering how personal insurance ignore this risk in calculating their future premium.

Don't insurers share the driving records among others?

A large premium on a personal lines policy is over 300 per month, the premium on a rental car policy could run 300 for the week. I have never know a rental company to run an MVR.

Are there any other advantages from insurance sold by rental car company?

No hassles if you wreck the car and/or injure somebody.

I've heard people saying claims filed under rental car sponsored insurance will not affect the premium paid on personal auto insurance. Is that true?

Hard to say. I have no idea if a car rental company reports your name to CLUE. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Don't insurers share the driving records among others?

They share claims information via CLUE.

Your driving records are available to all insurance companies direct from the DMV.

Back